Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does your baby breastfeed???

Question How long does your baby breastfeed???

I have an (almost) seven month old and feeding her has always been a bit of a struggle but we have never supplemented and she is growing just fine...so I guess I shouldnt be worried.

The problem is that she eats so fast I literally only feed her for about 3 minutes and then she wants to stop. For the first four months of her life she would only eat on one side, so it would be three minutes total!!! Then, she started eating on both sides and it addsup to a total of about 5 minutes at most. Some days less. It drives me nuts because even during the time she is eating she pulls off takes a break and then dives back in. She eats about every 3-4 hours.

Some days like today she ate a good meal (only on one side at 5am) when she woke up and she hasnt eaten more than 2 minutes at a time since (12 hours later). Everytime she wakes up from a nap I try to feed her but she is not interested.

I have tried feeding her in a dark quiet room away from all people because she is so interested in everything and that helps a little but not much.

I am just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. Has your baby eaten so quickly? Any advice?

Default Re: How long does your baby breastfeed???

Yes my son has always been a fast, efficient nurser! He was never one for comfort nursing. It helps to watch baby's diapers to ensure they are getting enough and that can give you peace of mind aswell.

As hes gotten older though, he has taken more comfort from the breast
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

my is a fast nurser, too! w/ pp to watch diaper output. i wouldn't worry so much about the length of time spent nursing.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

It's amazing how efficient they become once they really get the hang of nursing. Pretty soon they'll be fly by nursing! I agree with PP's, so long as diapers out and developmental milestones look good, I think you are doing great. Mobility can change the nursing relationship a lot!

Early on DS1 took a long time to nurse, but he was down to 10 mins a side by 6 months, and that time decreased more as he got older.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Ha I wish my 3.5 month old son would speed it up some. He is still at 30 minutes
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

My LO is 3 1/2 mos and nurses b/t 4-7 minutes on one side only. He's a quick nurser, too.
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Yeah, her diapers are fine. She is just so fast and has always been this way. I just cant get used to the her waiting five hours between nursing and then only eating for five minutes total! No comfort nursing. Its just frustrating. But, it really helps to hear that other babies are similar! I am so glad I found this forum! Thanks for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by EBrownBinion View Post
    Yeah, her diapers are fine. She is just so fast and has always been this way. I just cant get used to the her waiting five hours between nursing and then only eating for five minutes total! No comfort nursing. Its just frustrating. But, it really helps to hear that other babies are similar! I am so glad I found this forum! Thanks for the support.
    You're welcome, and !
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin