Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We're night weaning...need support

Default Re: We're night weaning...need support

From what I remember about the Gordon method, he says if it doesn't work - it the baby resists violently - then it means they aren't ready for it. We've never done any sleep training previously because I knew Z would flip out. I think we are just now in a place where he might be open to it.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyN View Post
    From what I remember about the Gordon method, he says if it doesn't work - it the baby resists violently - then it means they aren't ready for it. We've never done any sleep training previously because I knew Z would flip out. I think we are just now in a place where he might be open to it.
    Thats correct. We tried a few weeks ago with D and were met with some horrible resistance. We will try again in a month or two.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Well, Daddy's putting Z to sleep again tonight - after a nice long nursing session. Seems to be going okay - about 10 minutes of crying, but silence now. So that's good.
    But I can tell this is going to be a no-win situation for me. DH feels very strongly that night-weaning and not nursing to sleep is the Right Thing. But he is highly resentful that he has to be involved in the process. He hates that the bedtime responsibilities have been forced on him. So I've got a grumpy husband no matter what.
    I guess I will give the whole bedtime process - nurse, then rock/walk to sleep - a shot soon here to take some of the pressure off DH.
    Sorry for more ramblings. I've got a lot on my mind right now.
    Katie

I bet after a few days of mommy at home with no night-nursing still, he'll let you make the switch without much fuss (or so I've heard from a lot of mamas).

You seem so torn! I'm sorry your DH is not making this any easier on you.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

We're here for you Katie.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Of course you're not a bad mama. I know it's hard to make changes, but your baby will adjust...he already has!

I didn't have a whole lot of help from my DH, either. In our situation, though, DS was more mad when DH went to him than if I did, even if I didn't nurse him. This, too, shall pass!

Katie . . .Let it go. I think Z is handling it OK, from your description.

But if you don't take care of yourself, then where will you be????

Tell your DH that he HAS to be in charge right now. You're sick. You need to rest.

Besides, I could have my DH apply some peer pressure. He's in charge of bedtimes, starting when the babies are around 8 months of age. We do away with a bedtime nursing (except when Colton is teething), but I do nurse during the night. Tell your DH to BE A PARENT
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Last night Z woke up at 1:30 and wouldn't let me put him back down for 2 hours. But he never once asked to nurse during that time. He just wanted to be held and cuddled. So I guess we're pretty close to declaring nightweaning complete. But, as I've always suspected, its not going to magically end all night wakings. But we'll just take things one step at a time.

Also, Z fell asleep so easily for DH lat night that he wasn't even angry!
    Katie