Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Carrot Cake?

Default Carrot Cake?

So Evan's 1st Birthday is in 4 days and I'm going to be making him a carrot cake, the recipes I've looked at are pretty good (sans nuts) and I plan on using pear or apple puree instead of oil so it's a little more nutritious, but my question is...
    Should we be avoiding any certain spices? The recipe I think I like the most that I've found calls for Cinnamon and Mace...are those OK at 1 year old?
    Howbout rasins...are those ok?

Also if anyone has a tried and tested awesome carrot cake recipe I'd love to see it!
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

Default Re: Carrot Cake?

I would only be worried about the rasins as potential choking hazards. Hope he likes his cake!
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

my ds eats raisins like they may not make them anymore! i do know that cinnamon can be an allergen, not sure about mace. i will try and find some links!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

We used the carrot cake recipe out of Nourishing Traditions. No sugar or bad carbs at all. I was shocked but everyone loved it, including DD!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Raisins are considered a choking hazard for young, could you make it without that? I know that cinnamon can be an allergen, but it's pretty rare. IMO, carrot cake just wouldn't be carrot cake with cinnamon!!!

I don't know if Evan could handle raisins out of the package that were a little stale (which I think the ones I currently have in the cupboard are so I'll have to get a new pkg), but when I bake with "fresh" raisins they puff up and are quite soft...so I think I'll still include the raisins...he eats stuff now that is the same size and just about the same texture and handles it well.
    As far as the cinnamon, I think I will go for it.
    Still haven't found anything bad about mace...if anyone has any info I'd totally love to read it. The recipe only calls for 1/4 tsp in the whole cake...so I don't even know if it'll have enough to matter...or for that matter if I would even notice it wasn't in it.

So far this is the recipe I think I might use...of course I'll adapt it a little-

Ingredients:

For the cake:

4 large carrots

2 cups cake flour

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground mace

1 1/2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 1/4 cups canola oil

Grated zest of 1 orange

1/2 cup raisins, plumped in hot water
    and drained

1 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped

For the cream cheese frosting:

8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at
    room temperature

1 lb. cream cheese, at room temperature

10 oz. white chocolate, melted

Juice of 1 orange, strained

2 tsp. vanilla extract
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning

Yes - cinnamon is an allergen. My DS is allergic to cinnamon.

IMO - I'd be much more worried about the eggs & nuts in the recipe. Both are considered "top eight" allergens.

Whole eggs aren't supposed to be introduced until after 12 mo, and nuts much later.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Yes - cinnamon is an allergen. My DS is allergic to cinnamon.

IMO - I'd be much more worried about the eggs & nuts in the recipe. Both are considered "top eight" allergens.

Whole eggs aren't supposed to be introduced until after 12 mo, and nuts much later.
    Oh I definitely won't be including the nuts, the eggs on the other hand we've conquered, we tested a small amnt of scrambled eggs the other day and watched very carefully for a few days and just this morning he tried them again. I wanted to make sure of it before his birthday. No reaction so far. That's the one I've been most worried about, especially since eggs seem to be in just about everything.