Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to learn how to nurse in cradle hold

Default I want to learn how to nurse in cradle hold

Well...I've been BF for 2 months now! (Baby is 3 months old...but he was in the NICU for the first 25 days.)

I am starting to take him out more and I've even done it in public. We are going to Florida next week, and I want to feed him on the plane and in the airport. My problem is that I REALLY feel like I NEED my boppy pillow. I don't want to bring the boppy on the plane because I am also going to have my toddler with me and I am coming home alone with both of them. I need to be carrying as little as possible.

I have been trying to practice the cradle hold without proping him up on pillows...and without sitting with my legs crossed (which I love). I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Is it because I am bigger on top? Maybe it won't ever work for us? Or just it just take practice? Maybe I should just drag the boppy with me. I will have them both in the stroller through the airport...and it has a huge basket on the bottom. I will be putting the baby in a Mai Tai when I board so I can have my hands free to help my toddler and carry whatever I need. I guess I could carry the boppy along with my diaper bag. I just wish I could get the hang of it!!! Any help or advice would be GREAT! Sorry this is soo long!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Default Re: I want to learn how to nurse in cradle hold

Have you ever used a ring sling??? That might work for the situation...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It took me a while to learn to do the cradle hold at first. You'll figure it out! Practice, practice, practice. Practice in front of a mirror. You can also get him situated on the pillow, then remove them once everything is situated and he's latched on and nursing. That way, you'll get comfortable holding him in the cradle position, but without trying to learn while latching him on. Once you get good at doing it with him latched on, then try latching him on without the pillow.

Or maybe you can downsize to a smaller pillow, something that would be easier to carry on to the plane? Even a rolled up blanket can be made to work. Most airplanes have blankets and pillows available, but I'm leery of using them, because they might be icky. But if you could find something smaller at home that works for you, and would be easier to carry onto the plane, then that might be a good compromise.

Reviewing the basics, so it's all fresh in your mind, might be helpful, too. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/positioning.html

I always needed a boppy pillow.....and I love mine I would take mine
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

My kids both have blankies, and they are big enough that I can scrunch one end up under the nursing babies head. My legs are crossed quite a bit of the time too. They have pillows on planes...just ask the flight attendant!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thanks so much for the responses!!

A ring sling is a good idea, but I don't have the time to get my hands on one...and especially because I've purchased 3 carriers in the past 2 months. LOL! I might get put on probation for spending too much. I COULD try to nurse in my wrap...maybe I will practice tomorrow.

I'll let yall know how it goes! I'm skeered to travel it alone with a three-month-old baby and a two-year-old toddler. EEEK!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

you can do it! bribe the 3 yo and nurse the baby all the time
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

The wrap will work really well! There's a babywearing video called Tummy-to-Tummy, and it shows how to go from nursing on a pillow to nursing in a wrap (a front wrap cross carry). I'd do a search for it, someone might even have it up on-line!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by glowing View Post

Or maybe you can downsize to a smaller pillow, something that would be easier to carry on to the plane? Even a rolled up blanket can be made to work.
    Bring along a jacket or blanket that you can roll up and stuff under baby. GL

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

How big is DS? When DD got a few months old the LC directed me to do a variation of the cradle hold where we kind of sat her little bum on my lap, instead of keeping it elevated like it was with the Boppy. Sorry I'm not describing it well...

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.