Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dark Urine........Nursing strike??

Default Dark Urine........Nursing strike??

I don't know if it is a strike or not. DS just turned 6 mo on friday. For the last couple of days he only sucks for a couple of minutes and then begins popping on and off. I switch him and the cycle repeats. So I will burp him, he gets mad and I put him back on the other breast.
    I can tell he is not eating as much and his output is down. This morning he had dark urine. He is very interested in solids and would rather have that than nurse, which is unuasual for him.
    What should I do?

Default Re: Dark Urine........Nursing strike??

If I remember correctly, dark urine is a sign of dehydration. Have you tried EBM in a bottle? If his unusual behavior continues, especially with the dark urine, I would call the doctor to get instructions for preventing or reversing dehydration, especially in these hot summer months.

Dark urine (either dark yellow or light brown) is definitely a sign of dehydration, so you need to get more fluids into him as soon as possible. That is the most critical thing right now. EBM, water, even formula or diluted apple juice-- whatever it takes to get him hydrated again.

The rest of your post sounds to me more like distractibility than a nursing strike. He's discovered the joys of solid foods, and he's too busy and distracted to settle down and nurse for long.

Try nursing him in a dim, quiet room, and try nursing him more when he is sleepy (either going down to sleep, or just waking up, or even offer the breast when he is asleep). Babies who are distractible may take the breast better when they're not aware of anything else.

Let us know how things go; I hope he will move through this phase quickly, as it must be worrisome to see him dehydrated especially in this summer heat.

--Rebecca

Thank you for your posts. It is definately worrisome! I have been offering the breast every hour and I nap nurse him. He has had 2 good wet diapers since this morning.
    I will keep you all posted. He also has his 6 mo check up tommrow!
    Thanks
    Sheila