Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding diet?

Question Breastfeeding diet?

I've been supplementing in hopes of bringing my supply up. It's never been good enough. I don't know what I should be eating. I'm not a fan of anything that will make me gain weight. I don't want to eat anything with sugar or salt.

What should I be eating? And drinking?

Default Re: Breastfeeding diet?

Drinking plenty of water and eating oatmeal I belive are excellent for getting supply up. What supplements are you taking? I eat a normal healthy diet (lots of fruit and veg) and my supply has been fine.

Am sure other mammas have more info and will post shortly.

Welcome to the board, you will find so much information and support here. Well done for bf!

I had luck with the nursing mom tea though I know some have not. Also I found it helped to eat throughout the day, always snacking. I make sure I always have a banana or granola bar handy!

There's no specific diet for breastfeeding moms. As long as you're eating a wide variety of foods, getting fruits, veggies, protein, carbs, and good fats, plus lots of water, you're good. A select few things might affect your supply - mint, sage. Otherwise, eat and drink to comfort, and try things like oatmeal.

Some meds can also affect your milk supply, especially hormonal birth control.

Lots of good fats: meat, dairy, avocados, olive oil, coconut (milk/oil/meat). Try to stay away from too many carbs (especially processed) as they zap nutrients that you need for energy and making good quality milk (plus they make you fat).

Good books: The Maker's Diet; Eat Fat, Lose Fat; The South Beach Diet; Nourishing Traditions (cookbook)

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.