Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to start up again w/interesting problem

Question Trying to start up again w/interesting problem

Okay I keep looking around and I don't know which way to go because i don't understand a lot of the lingo regarding breast feeding. So let me explain my way and maybe someone can help. I am a new first time mom and I wanted to breast feed since the day I found out I was pregnant. Now, after my son was born I was able to breast feed him the first 4 weeks of life.

Along with this time period (birth till 4 weeks) I had my husband by my side. After that he was sent back to Iraq. Once he left I was able to breast feed for about a day or two as usual then my milk stopped. It got to the point where I was able to pump 1/2 an ounce during the whole day! So, I had to put my son on formula because he was starving. (A person tried to convince me that he wasn't when I first stopped producing and I'm sorry to say but his screaming proved otherwise).

The other half of the story is I still leak a few drops here and there so I kept trying to let him get something out but what did come out was thick and tasted pretty much like sour cream. Someone also told me that if I was going to dry up then my breasts should hurt and engorge but that doesn't happen either. So, I'm in this limbo of having this strange milk, no increase in production, no pain, and no idea what direction to go.

Anyway, so he's now turning 8 weeks and I have gotten him into a nice routine but I want to find out if theres anyway I could start breast feeding again and how to do that if possible. And if anyone has any idea what could be going on with my milk and if there's a way to fix it because I really enjoyed the bonding that came with breast feeding.

Default Re: Trying to start up again w/interesting problem

You can definitely try to let him nurse again. That stuff you are producing now is basically colostrum, and it won't hurt baby to get some. Let him comfort nurse whenever he'll take it, that will help your supply. What you're basically aiming for is relactation, so read up on that and induced lactation. Induced lactation is what it's called when you've never had a baby, or haven't had one in a long long time, but you're still close to that relactation stage, since it's only been a few weeks.

There are herbs you can take to help production, some moms swear by eating oatmeal. If you're on any meds, especially hormonal birth control, those can drastically lower your supply, so consider stopping taking them.

That stuff you are producing now is basically colostrum, and it won't hurt baby to get some.
    Not really, but it still won't hurt

OP, I'm going to transfer your question to our relactation forum.
    HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hello and ,

Yes, it is absolutely possible to get your baby breastfeeding again! You can rest assured that it is impossible for your milk to go "bad" in your breasts. Your milk is still the best nutrition for your baby. It has only been a few weeks since you stopped breastfeeding, and your baby is quite young, so your chances of success are very good.

There are a lot of fantastic mamas on this forum who have done exactly what you want to do. They are very supportive and informative. I am sure that some of them will post and share their experiences with you. In the meantime, check out the sticky at the top of this forum. It has a lot of great resources to get you started. Take some time to read through some of the recent threads, and feel free to ask any questions you have. We're here to help!!

to you. It sounds like you're going through a lot right now. Your baby is so very blessed to have you as his mama.

Tiana

Good for you - not letting this horrible predicament make you stop trying!!! I am proud of you for not throwing in the towel.

1) Get a hospital grade pump.
    2) Pump as often as you can
    3) Pump while you read all the stickies and other post on this forum
    4) Pump while you write us with your questions
    5) Pump at least every 3 hours at night.

I brought my milk back from just drops, too. You CAN do it!

Tons of s to you!!! Are you pumping at all? Be sure to latch him on whenever he will latch and let him suckle as long as he will. The more the breasts are stimulated, the better the chances of producing an abundant supply of milk again. Also, lots and lots and lots of skin to skin contact will work wonders. I'm sorry I don't have more advice! I have never personally relactated, but you have definitely come to the right place!!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07