Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New mom, Engorged and using Nipple shield! HELP!

Question New mom, Engorged and using Nipple shield! HELP!

Hello everyone!
    I'm hoping you can help me out! I'm a new mom. My baby is 5 days old and I'm trying to stick to breastfeeding....He had trouble latching on in the hosital due to my flat nipples and I was given a nipple shield to use (which is working fine). Now my milk is coming in and I'm sooo uncomfortable!! I was told nipple shield may decrease milk supply and I should pump daily. I've been pumping, and the engorgement subsides temporarily. I'm wondering if overpumping can lead to increased or PROLONGED engorgement? My baby is getting plenty. Well, he lost 8 ounces when we left the hospital, but at the last Md's, his weight is going in the right direction. wet diapers and stools are adequate.
    So, how should I be relieving this engorgement? PUMP alot and freeze or just enough to make it more comfortable??
    ANY advice would be great. THANKS

Default Re: New mom, Engorged and using Nipple shield! HELP!

try this:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rMay03p38.html

I wish I would have heard about this when I had my dd.. I had the c-section and lots of iv fluids and she was my only baby that had latching on problems at a few days old.

If you pump, it will send signals to your body to make even more milk. Try pumping just a little to relieve the pressure.
    Jennifer

llli_vbulletin Guest

Engorgement is caused by excess blood and lymph rushing to the region. For this reason, it's important to pump using the lowest effective setting on your pump as the vacuum action from the pump can cause more swelling.

Please read this info:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

And I would encourage you to use reverse pressure softening (as described in link), as well as the comfort techniques found in the article.

Have you contacted your nearest LLL Leader? And how are things going today?

Thanks for the advice!
    I am using the Advent Isis Hand pump, so there are no settings! I ended up pumping this morning and felt so much better. Sure enough though, things are getting uncomfortable again. I think I will try other means to relieve the hardness, pain like showering etc. rather than pumping. I just want to get through this engorgement phase. I don't want to make it worse!
    I have found a LLL in the next town over and plan on calling her tommorrow to ask for advice. It's just hard hearing so many different things and not knowing what will work the quickest and be best for me.
    Thanks for the link. I really appreciate all the help!

Also, I"m not sure if the pressure softening is for me. I am using the nipple shields and my areola isn't the part that is hard, its the entire rest of my breast.....so i'm not sure that method will help?
    Also, with the nipple shield i was told that it may interfere with milk supply and I may need to pump as well while using it to be sure i'm making enough milk. If i continued to pump liberally, would the engorgement ever go away or would I be allowing it to continue??

You may find the following links about engorgement and nipple shields useful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html
    (The first link has some info about how much to pump between feedings)

Congratulations on the new addition to your family!
    Come back and ask any more questions - we're here to support you if you need it!
    Last edited by Sara; July 2nd, 2006 at 08:19 PM.