Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding through the Night

Unhappy Feeding through the Night

My son is almost 10 months old now. From about the time he was probably 2-5 months, he slept around 8 hours a night, but ever since then he has been waking every 2-3 hours at night. He hardly BF's at all during the day (not for lack of me offering) I am trying to introduce him to more solids, but I feel like I'm caught in a vicious cycle because he seems to be getting all his calories at night, and then isn't hungry for much during the day...I'm really tired and looking for any advice or encouragement any of you might have. I think this is more a feeding problem than a sleep problem. He is able to self-start sleeping and he goes to bed around 7pm and gets up (apart from the multiple times during the night to feed) around 7am. When he gets up during the night he usually has a full feed each time. I tried just giving him half-feeds, but then he just ended up waking up twice as often...

Default Re: Feeding through the Night

DD is a reverse-cycler too, but since I WOH, it's actually a blessing. Do you co-sleep? That's the only way it works for me, and I'm able to go with the flow of whatever she is ready for. Sometimes she eats a lot of solids, but sometimes not. "My Child Won't Eat!" is a good book that might help reassure you. Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

We don't co-sleep. My husbands not a fan, plus he's a heavy sleeper so I don't think it would be wise. Thank you for the book suggestion, I will look into that.

Instead of giving him full feeds, can you offer more than normal? i.e., when he starts to drift off at the end of a middle-of-the-night feeding, wake him up a bit, do breast compressions, stuff like that. That will encourage him to eat a bit more, so in theory, he'd go a bit longer between nursing sessions, allowing you a bit more sleep.

Keep offering nursing and solids during the day, he'll eventually come around. He won't be on this schedule by the time he starts high school, I promise! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by gengi View Post
    We don't co-sleep. My husbands not a fan, plus he's a heavy sleeper so I don't think it would be wise. Thank you for the book suggestion, I will look into that.
    Maybe you could try a cot/mattress on the floor in the LO's room while the going is tough. DH and I actually don't cosleep together. I cosleep with DD and he's on his own. He's too light of a sleeper - and doesn't appreciate the interruptions. Which is fine by me, as he's much easier to live with when he gets enough sleep (me too)! Whatever works!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Four months is prime time for sleep patterns to change. Kellymom has a good article about it here. My DS1 slept in 2-4 hour stretches until he was 12 months old. At that point it was right for our family to night wean, though we were lucky enough that DS also showed signs of being ready on his own. It was a smooth transition and I'm glad I waited until 12 months to try it.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    My DS1 slept in 2-4 hour stretches until he was 12 months old.
    I'm there right now Can you tell me about your experience with night weaning?
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR