Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Some Advice and Encouragement Please

Unhappy Some Advice and Encouragement Please

Hi Everyone... Sorry so long...

The last couple of days have been very challenging. Friday night Rowdy slept horrible. He was fussy from about 2 am until we got up. Saturday, he was fussy all day. I figured it was b/c of him not getting sleep on Friday night. He didn't want anyone but me on Saturday, but that was ok. Last night he didn't sleep too well either, but better than Friday. Also, he hasn't really had any naps during the day either. Today he has been ok until a few hours ago. Now he is fussy again.

I have taken his temp and he is fine there. He does have diahrrea. He is also putting EVERYTHING in his mouth. I know that is normal for a baby his age. Oh, by the way he is 3.5 months. Could he be teething? I haven't had anything to eat that would upset his belly. What else could it be? I have been all evening. Please if you have any ideas to ease my night I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Some Advice and Encouragement Please

Quote Originally Posted by hollandperformancehorses View Post
    Hi Everyone... Sorry so long...

The last couple of days have been very challenging. Friday night Rowdy slept horrible. He was fussy from about 2 am until we got up. Saturday, he was fussy all day. I figured it was b/c of him not getting sleep on Friday night. He didn't want anyone but me on Saturday, but that was ok. Last night he didn't sleep too well either, but better than Friday. Also, he hasn't really had any naps during the day either. Today he has been ok until a few hours ago. Now he is fussy again.

I have taken his temp and he is fine there. He does have diahrrea. He is also putting EVERYTHING in his mouth. I know that is normal for a baby his age. Oh, by the way he is 3.5 months. Could he be teething? I haven't had anything to eat that would upset his belly. What else could it be? I have been all evening. Please if you have any ideas to ease my night I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much
    Any number of things could be bothering him. It very well could be the onset of teething (you mentioned chewing-how 'bout excessive drool?) My friend's baby got diarrhea just before each tooth came in. It could be growing pains/growth spurt. It could be that he's just overtired. Can you take any naps with him, do a lie-down nursing? You both could feel a lot better with a three-hour siesta together.

You remember the golden rule: When baby sleeps, momma sleeps. Even if you don't fall asleep, take a rest. It can be refreshing just to not do anything. Don't clean, don't do laundry. Just eat well, drink your water, and be lazy. After this little spell is all over, you still may not know the cause. What you will know, though, is that you did your best in helping your son and that means taking care of yourself too, so that you can be your best for him.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I tried napping with him and he gets fussier when I put him down. Drooling is all the time. Matter of fact we recorded him this past week making his new mouth tooting noise, and that causes him to drool alot.

Thank you for the encouragement... I really need it tonight.
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

He could just not be feeling well. Does he have a stuffy nose? I know the little upsets can seem monumental, but it's probably just a bit of a bug, which will probably not get worse since you are BFing and offering so many antibodies! You're doing a great job. Just listen to his needs and it will pass.

My lo started teething around three months an was fussy for a little while but it got better. It seems to be up and down rollercoaster w/the sleeping. I was overwhelmed the other day too from sleep deprivation and then last night she slept great.

Your baby is about 10 days younger than mine, and we have had much of the same. We think it is teething. We can faintly see his two bottom teeth pressing through his gums. I guess a lot of mommies notice diarrhea with teething, the theory being that babies might be swallowing more saliva. Lance was only pooping once a day before, and then started pooping after every feeding. We would feed him a bottle of EBM and he would not want to finish it and instead just chew on the bottle nipple. I feel your pain though... the other day Lance did nothing but cry all day long. I work nights and was trying to sleep during the day while my husband and mother-in-law were caring for him, and it was impossible to sleep... it's so hard when I know my little man is in pain and not know if I can do anything to help him.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by hollandperformancehorses View Post
    I tried napping with him and he gets fussier when I put him down. Drooling is all the time. Matter of fact we recorded him this past week making his new mouth tooting noise, and that causes him to drool alot.

Thank you for the encouragement... I really need it tonight.
    When you mentioned that he fussed when you put him down, is that while he's eating? finished? for a nap? Has the drool significantly increased recently? Has reflux ever seemed to bother him?

I remember many fussy, sleepless days and nights at this age. I was just as sleep deprived then as I was when he was a newborn. I had no family nearby I could call upon and since I'm off of work for this year, my friends were all at work and couldn't help either. I was screwed (and still am when things get rough). But you'll get through it. You'll pull tricks from up your sleeve that you didn't know you had, more patience will come from your heart and soul. It's a growth opportunity.

At this age and even in what seems like such chaos, my son was starting to show regular wake-sleep patterns. He was fussy, I think, because he wanted some regularity in his days and nights. I kept a journal for a few weeks of when he ate, went to sleep and woke up and saw what he was doing in black and white. I then established a nighttime routine and helped him get to having some six-hour stretches of sleep. It felt so good to get to that point.

One thing that my son loved at this stage was gently swaying or dancing with me in front of the stereo until he was asleep on my shoulder. He's a music and motion man. Is it going to warm up enough for you two to go out on the porch swing or perhaps for a walk? Any change of scenery can do wonders for you both.

We still have phases of illness and teething and we're battling right now to get back on track until our next bout with teething. It's always something!

Hang in there, momma, and call in the reserves if they're available. It takes strength to ask for help. If I had it available, I would in a heartbeat.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

The fussiness is anytime I put him down. The drool has increased. As far as reflux, he is on meds for that and it is under control.

He slept better last night and he seems to be better today.

Thank you all the encouragements.

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    When you mentioned that he fussed when you put him down, is that while he's eating? finished? for a nap? Has the drool significantly increased recently? Has reflux ever seemed to bother him?

I remember many fussy, sleepless days and nights at this age. I was just as sleep deprived then as I was when he was a newborn. I had no family nearby I could call upon and since I'm off of work for this year, my friends were all at work and couldn't help either. I was screwed (and still am when things get rough). But you'll get through it. You'll pull tricks from up your sleeve that you didn't know you had, more patience will come from your heart and soul. It's a growth opportunity.

At this age and even in what seems like such chaos, my son was starting to show regular wake-sleep patterns. He was fussy, I think, because he wanted some regularity in his days and nights. I kept a journal for a few weeks of when he ate, went to sleep and woke up and saw what he was doing in black and white. I then established a nighttime routine and helped him get to having some six-hour stretches of sleep. It felt so good to get to that point.

One thing that my son loved at this stage was gently swaying or dancing with me in front of the stereo until he was asleep on my shoulder. He's a music and motion man. Is it going to warm up enough for you two to go out on the porch swing or perhaps for a walk? Any change of scenery can do wonders for you both.

We still have phases of illness and teething and we're battling right now to get back on track until our next bout with teething. It's always something!

Hang in there, momma, and call in the reserves if they're available. It takes strength to ask for help. If I had it available, I would in a heartbeat.
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Have you tried wearing him? After my son's 4mo shots he became so so so so so fussy. He didn't want to be put down, eat, play, anything really except be held. Sometimes if I was hungry or needed to do something I would put him on my back, walk and eat and we were both happy. What I've always done though if my lo has trouble sleeping is I'll put him in the wrap in the tummy to tummy position and walk around or sit and sway until he's asleep. Once he's asleep I'll lie down with him and slip the wrap gently over him and stay with him for 15 min. Sometimes I'm able to put him down sometimes no and I just have to wear for a couple of hours to make sure he's rested.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

I haven't tried wearing him, but I will give it a try today!

Thanks
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long