Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pacifer use?

Default pacifer use?

My 2 week old has been doing ok with breastfeeding, but recently - after a long feed - he has been sucking again as though wanting to continue to feed. Do you think it's ok to give him a pacifer then - I just can't breastfeed 24/7!

Default Re: pacifer use?

THe sucking motion is just something they do. usually they say don't introduce anything else until around five weeks. So as not to cause nipple confusion. My DS would always take my finger. But even now at six month he makes that sucking motion all night in his sleep.

My baby pretty much sucks all the time when she is awake...it's like she just has to have something in her mouth, and she doesn't care what it is. We started giving her a pacifier around 2 weeks, and she has had absolutely no problem at all going from breast to pacifier or bottle and back. Just do what you think will work for your own baby and yourself. If you find that the pacifier is causing problems with breastfeeding, don't give your baby the pacifier anymore.

I would try your finger, or maybe even helping to guide his own fist to his mouth before trying the pacifier. Nipple confusion was a big fear of mine, and though some babies certainly have no problem, you would be giving it to him with a higher risk of interferring with your breastfeeding relationship.
    At two weeks, its also possible he's having one of those growth spurts and really is hungry most of the time! This won't last forever!