Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Emotional after weaning

Unhappy Emotional after weaning

It has been 6 days since I last nursed my son.......I can't decide if I'm happy or incredibly depressed about it! He is almost 2 and I just really thought it was time. He only nursed to be put to sleep, once during the day, and then at night. He whined a little at first, I told him they were "broken" and his response was "need new batteries mommy"? It was a concept he understood, telling him "no more" just didn't work. Anyway, since then, I've been feeling very emotional, almost like I did years ago right before a period. I just want to cry. I'm sad that special time between the two of us is over, sad that he doesn't need me that way anymore. I wanted to stop, I really did, but I just can't believe how emotional I am about this. I feel very possessive of him, I get jealous if he wants to be with someone else even though I know he loves his mommy, I'm just being irrational and ridiculous. Has anyone else had any emotional issues or depression after they stopped nursing?

Default Re: Emotional after weaning

It sounds normal to me. We aren't weaned yet, but I get emotional when I just THINK about weaning.

i understand! we just weaned as well, it has been about 2 weeks, and i still cry over it! i did with my first son, too. i think it is just hard to lose that part of your relationship.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I am just about weaned, and I am feeling slightly reluctant. I understand what you mean, part of me is sooooo ready, but there is this little voice saying "Are you sure?" its hard, but I do think its time
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

We weaned about 2 weeks ago and it has been so hard on me. I have been so sad over the whole situation. Even dh says I have not been acting like myself lately.

Thanks everyone. I guess it seems normal. I feel a little better as of yesterday and today. If I really think about it, I get upset. But I've been trying to do other things alone with him, even if it's just quietly reading a book or telling stories under the covers in my bed. He loves the book "Going on a Bear Hunt" and likes to pretend we are hiding from bears in my bed! Anyway, I appreciate the comments, I was beginning to think I was a little off...... Also, I didn't think I really had much milk left in me, but I'm suddenly soooo sore, hope this goes away as well.......