Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bleeding While BFing?

Default Bleeding While BFing?

Is it possible to have bleeding nipples and not notice or have any pain? When DD was 1.5 mos she had blood in her spit up and Dr. thought it could have come from me. I had to put her on formula for 2 days and give her Zantac for acid reflux.

Now she has blood in her stool (3mos) and I'm wondering if her pedi will think it's from me (going tomorrow morning).

If it was last week when I had a nipple blister/bleb and clogged duct then I would think it could be from me, but my nipples feel & look fine now.

Default Re: Bleeding While BFing?

I remember someone telling me that blood in the stool could be a sign of baby having a problem with dairy. I would definitely talk to you pedi about it.

Definitely possible. It's common for a small capillary to rupture during nursing. It's usually painless and most moms don't notice unless they are pumping or see some bloody spit-up. In my experience, a blister or clogged duct make a small amount of bleeding more likely to happen.

The only thing I would be cautious about is the blood in the diaper. Did it look fresh? Or digested? Digested would be normal if the blood is from you, I think. I would guess that fresh, on the other hand, might be a sign of something going on with the baby.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    Definitely possible. It's common for a small capillary to rupture during nursing. It's usually painless and most moms don't notice unless they are pumping or see some bloody spit-up. In my experience, a blister or clogged duct make a small amount of bleeding more likely to happen.

The only thing I would be cautious about is the blood in the diaper. Did it look fresh? Or digested? Digested would be normal if the blood is from you, I think. I would guess that fresh, on the other hand, might be a sign of something going on with the baby.

When I was cracked and bleeding badly when ds was 5 months, his poop had digested blood in it. Even though I was fairly certain it wasn't his blood, it still reassured me that he was okay by bringing him in with a sample.

Are there any signs on your breast that it is you bleeding? Can you pump or hand express to see?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

The blood was definitely fresh...several red streaks. There is no sign of any nipple problems or bleeding right now. I pump twice a day during the weekdays and have never seen blood in my milk. The last I pumped was Fri. and it was fine. She's acting fine, so hopefully it's okay. I just hope her pedi doesn't ask me to put her on formula for a couple days again.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

She could have a small tear in her anus (cringe!) or an allergy. It's worth getting checked out though. Hang in there, momma. Morning will be here soon.

How is her poop itself? Normal? Is she constipated?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Her poop is normal. She's goes every other day or up to 3days in between, but it is always her usual poop (watery, seedy, orangeish/or yellow). She went 3-4 times yesterday within and hour. It was the second one that had the most blood in it (a few red streaks) and the third just a tiny barely noticeable amount. 4th nothing. DH changed the first and didn't notice anything. Hopefully it is just an anal fissure (tear) like PP said.

We're heading out now...

We're back already. Dr. checked for a tear didn't see one, but thinks that could have been the cause yesterday. I'm supposed to keep an eye on it and call if I see any more blood or if anything changes (becomes fussy, gets fever, etc.)

She's never really fussy with me, but when she's at her babysitters she gets fussy or if anyone else watches her (ie Grandma or even Daddy). Apparently, on Thurs. she cried for almost 3hrs. Babysitter says that after she went poop she was fine. She thinks that she is fussy because she doesn't go every day. Dr. said going every 3 days is fine, but her babysitter is convinced that it isn't good for her. I think she was upset because she was tired and I wasn't there. I wish I could just stay home with her!

I had the exact same problem. Wefound out that my baby girl was allergic to cows milk protien. I went off all dairy and eggs for two weeks and there was no more blood. I was able to add eggs after two weeks and see if there was a reaction...there wasnt and then I added butter to see if there was a reaction and there was. So, as long as I refrain from all dairy (which is in everything!) as long as I am nursing she will be fine. So far, it has been seven months and she is healthy. Good luck.