Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supplemental nursing system

Default supplemental nursing system

I know I have a lot of questions ! But thanks so much for you time in helping me with this!!

I got my SNS today and my son latched without the shield on the left breast!!!! right away it was great! but only on my left breast. the right he doesn't even want to latch. I am guessing it is because I have a capsular contraction (hardening of the scar tissue around the implant) also the hardeing makes my breast look upside down because there is no tissue on the bottom it's all above the nipple. Maybe it is just too hard for him to latch too? besides the implant I really don't have much tissue. since pre surgery I was completely flat, not even an A cup...

When he latched on the left he was on for over 30 minutes and only got 1.5 oz. when usually he takes 4-5 oz. he pulled off finally screaming for a bottle. The fastest flow tube doesn't seem fast enough. though he is on the added rice formula (rice startch not rice cereal) but it does make the formula just a little bit thicker. do they make a faster tube? I can't find that information. but he is on the size 4 transparents one.

any opinions on how long I should try to latch him if he is crying when should I stop? the left was just a little fuss for seconds and he latched and ate.
    the right, he cried and cried he wouldn't even suck once

If it does find to be that he just can't latch on the hard breast, is it possible to nurse from 1 side? or the bad breast can I use the shield with the SNS ? he will latch with the shield.
    This thing is just very complicated and difficult . trying to get him to latch while holding this and that lol.

any pointers on making this thing work better?

thanks again!

Default Re: supplemental nursing system

Hi, i am having the same issues with my little one. I had breast augmentation about 9 years ago (above the muscle) and was told that it is possible to breastfeed after this. I am breastfeeding, but so far i'm not making enough breastmilk and my lactation consultant prescribed me Reglan and i'm also taking Fenugreek. I just started taking it a couple of days ago. I am also using a supplemental nurser when BF. I go back on Wednesday to see if my baby has gained any weight since this and to see if my milk supply has increased. She recommended that i let the baby breastfeed first on each side (10mins or more) and when she got fussy, to go ahead and supplement her with 1-1.5 ozs (or more). My baby is almost 3 weeks old, not sure how much you would have to supplement for your baby. I would recommend though to set up a appointment with a LC, my insurance covers it so i am taking it. Good luck and i hope this helps!

You can try checking with the hospital IBCLC about finding different tubing. Or you might check online.

I would not force the issue. If he is crying a lot you do not want him to develop an aversion to nursing, or have him relate nursing with being distressed!

It is VERY possible to just nurse from the one side. Lots of moms do this.

I can see how it would be difficult to handle all of this apparatus and a little baby!

Hang in there. I think you are doing an awesome job!

thanks girls!

Yesterday he wanted NOTHING to do with the SNS. but as soon as i take it away and add the shield he was fine and only wanted to comfort nurse to sleep. I will keep working on it but I am glad I haven't been fighting the issue! I thought he would associate bad things with the breast if I did just like you said Kate at least he is latching at all right!

well yesterday I got 2 oz besides his latchings. and today I already have over an oz. slow steady improvement but I like that he is getting a bottle every other day. soon a bottle a day then so on he seems so much happier with the shield but I will continue to offer the SNS and when he wants it do well!

I will call my LC today to ask about faster tubing !

Thanks again! you are all so helpful!

Great news about the slow but steady increases in milk!

Please let us know how things are going.

Take care,

Hi,

How can you know how many oz your baby had whilst breastfeeding? I'd love to know it since my milk supply is also low. Like your doctor, I was advised to supplement with formula, which I hate.
    I've read that you can very well nurse on one breast only. Can you pump from the other?
    I hope it gets better and that you get more advice from more experienced mums. My bb is just 10 days and i'm struggling myself....
    Good luck!
    Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyjewel
    I know I have a lot of questions ! But thanks so much for you time in helping me with this!!

I got my SNS today and my son latched without the shield on the left breast!!!! right away it was great! but only on my left breast. the right he doesn't even want to latch. I am guessing it is because I have a capsular contraction (hardening of the scar tissue around the implant) also the hardeing makes my breast look upside down because there is no tissue on the bottom it's all above the nipple. Maybe it is just too hard for him to latch too? besides the implant I really don't have much tissue. since pre surgery I was completely flat, not even an A cup...

When he latched on the left he was on for over 30 minutes and only got 1.5 oz. when usually he takes 4-5 oz. he pulled off finally screaming for a bottle. The fastest flow tube doesn't seem fast enough. though he is on the added rice formula (rice startch not rice cereal) but it does make the formula just a little bit thicker. do they make a faster tube? I can't find that information. but he is on the size 4 transparents one.

any opinions on how long I should try to latch him if he is crying when should I stop? the left was just a little fuss for seconds and he latched and ate.
    the right, he cried and cried he wouldn't even suck once

If it does find to be that he just can't latch on the hard breast, is it possible to nurse from 1 side? or the bad breast can I use the shield with the SNS ? he will latch with the shield.
    This thing is just very complicated and difficult . trying to get him to latch while holding this and that lol.

any pointers on making this thing work better?

thanks again!

Daniela- i am relactating so i don't have much milk now. the only reason i know how much he is eating because i am using a supplimental nursing system. it works by giving my son formula while he sucks at my breast. it stimulates my breast to make milk.

I am unable to successfully pump at the moment but i can hand express from my right breast. i am told you can successfully nurse from 1 side. but i am hoping too from both.

How do you know your supply is so low?? I thought mine was with my first because he was always at my breast but i have learned that it is VERY normal and he was in fact getting enough! why were you told to give formula?? for me that was actually the worst advice i was given. I would if I was you meet with a lactation consultant or an LLL leader in your area to ask them about it. since my opinion is a lot of drs and nurses in my area have tried to get me to give formula only to find out i was perfectly capable to BF on my own I even had the nurse give my first son bottles in the hospital when i said not too. they said he was cluster feeding even though they knew they had just fed him formula. (i found out watch my hospital video and seeing formula in his bassinet) my son would nurse constantly when he was born and still with formula he is eating every 1-3 hours lol.

goodluck with your new baby!