Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shooting pains. Thrush??

Default Shooting pains. Thrush??

My daughter is 3 weeks. Over the past few days, I have been getting shooting pains in my breasts. We have had some difficulty with latching initially during feedings, but then she usually corrects herself. Could this be thrush? What Dr. would I consult with regarding this? OB, GP, etc? Thanks!

Default Re: Shooting pains. Thrush??

If I were you I would call my obgyn as soon as possible. I had that & it's very painful. He told he it could have come from bad latching & the nipples getting cracked. Also change your breast pads alot. I think that nipple cream might have lead to my problem too. I maybe used it too much & it stayed too moist. Just keep breastfeeding. Don't give up, it will get better, I promise.
    Jennifer, 1st time mom to Noah. Born August 27,07 by c-section after 12 hours of labor.

Check out my website
    www.myspagirlparties.com/jennifermorris

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by sueboc View Post
    My daughter is 3 weeks. Over the past few days, I have been getting shooting pains in my breasts. We have had some difficulty with latching initially during feedings, but then she usually corrects herself. Could this be thrush? What Dr. would I consult with regarding this? OB, GP, etc? Thanks!
    My first line of defense was the nurse at my OB's office. There were also midwives at the same office who were very knowledgeable and helpful. Most important was my lactation nurse/consultant in troubleshooting.

Does it happen throughout the entire feeding? Just at the beginning or end? Any other time? Have you recently had cracked nipples?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I had canyon sized cracks when my son was 2 weeks. Cracks open your breasts up to all kinds of stuff, and yeast can result
    Here is what has been suggested to me, after almost 7 weeks of pain. I am using gentian violet, and a prescription for All Purpose Nipple Ointment. I have included the link with the instructions on how to do this.

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/thrush.html

This link has been soooo helpful to me in finding many ways to alleviate the yeast. Please be sure to include your OB in treatment, as you will need her to write the prescription for the ointment, and her general support in treatment. JSYK, my OB has learned a lot through my ordeal, and I was fortunate enough to have a LC who was willing to speak with her on my behalf.
    HTH. Good Luck. Do not stop in your quest for relief!

It is also important to include your child's pediatrician, since your lo probably has it as well (even if s/he is not showing any symptoms). If you don't treat both of you at the same time, you will just pass it back and forth and reinfect each other.

It helped me to wash all my clothes in hot water with a cup of vinegar added and also rinsing my nipples after nursing with half water, half vinegar. I used gentian violet to treat both of us and it worked really well for me.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous