My one week old and I are currently facing a ton of challenges... and I'm really in need of some tips performing breast compression. I'm not thrilled with the hole I'm in and I'm hoping that breast compression will help me to begin the long haul process of getting us on track. I'm desprate to not give up on breastfeeding.
- We're feeding about 10 times per day
- We are getting around 5 wet and 5 dirty diapers each day
Here's a quick run down of our challenges:
- I rec'd poor BF support in the hospital and now the little one will only nurse now with a nipple shield.
- Little one is putting on weight slowly. Only 1.5oz of gain this week.
- Little one is on a bili-blanket as she has infant jaundice (not pathological jaundice) and this makes positioning her difficult.
- Little one is VERY drowsy from the jaundice and often falls asleep at the breast before she's done eating -- stressful to me b/c she's not putting on the weight.
I am confused and stressed out over how she can be going thru the proper number of diapers/day and still not be putting on weight. The LLL book "The Womanly Art..." suggested breast compression might be helpful for 1) slow weight gain, 2) sleepy baby, and 3) jaundice. I'm dealing with all three.
But, I'm not sure when I compress the breast if it's doing anything, and I don't know if the nipple shields are negating the effects at all. Is it even worth it?
Any help would be insanely appreciated! I'm so stressed I can barely think straight!