Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BFing for 11 months, periods back, low supply

Default BFing for 11 months, periods back, low supply

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot, didn't know where else to post it...

I have a 11 month old son who is still nursing frequently, and my periods have now returned (in full force, sorry to be blunt). Along with the periods is the PMS... Before I was pregnant I regularly took Evening primrose oil capsules and then 1 week before my period I used a progesterone cream to combat the mood swings/PMS. Is this safe to do when BF still? Anyone out there use this, or experience this too? I have also noted a significant drop in my milk supply the last few weeks, and my son is not taking much solids yet...
    I know this because he is having only 2 moderately wet diapers during the day, and one SOAKED diaper after sleeping 12 hours at night. His weight gain is okay the last month, (he was 22 lb 10 ounces at 9 months, now 23 lb 8 ounces 11 months), I've had him checked by the pedi, but I still was worried so I started taking Fennugreek the last week, and that has helped significantly (I have use it before). He is nursing better, and his output is better (today I changed largely wet diapers). Will I experience this every month?

Hoping maybe someone has the same experience?
    Last edited by Ethansmommy; June 30th, 2006 at 09:10 PM.

Default Re: BFing for 11 months, periods back, low supply

I don't have any information about the PMS remedies while breastfeeding, but I did have a similar experience with decrease supply after my periods returned. My cycle came back when my DS was about 9 months. After that time, my supply seemed to slowly decrease over the next 3-6 months and remained lower even though we were still exclusively BF and feeding on demand. I didn't really notice ups and downs during each month as others reported, just a general decrease overall. I was also successful in increasing my supply with fenugreek and increased fluids (I was not drinking the full 8 glasses recommended prior to trying to increase my supply). I continued with the fenugreek until my DS was eating a significant enough amount of solids that he was nursing less and so I didn't need to worry so much about supply.