Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby spitting up blood..

Angry Baby spitting up blood..

DD is 8 weeks old and I have had an issue in my breast. I have posted before about this thing in my boob that wouldn't go away. It has never bled before now. We ended up taking dd to the ER since there was no evidence that my boob was the culprit. Anyway... now what the ER staff concluded it was my boob even though they had me pump and no blood was evident in the milk....

How long should symptoms persist .. spit up blood, blood in poop... How long will it be ok, when is it bad for her if ever...
    Please help this first time mom who had a long day in the ER...

I know I gave to continue to feed... I need all the reassurances I can get...

TIA

Mary Lynn
    Mom of Isabel 5/5/06

Default Re: Baby spitting up blood..

do they think she has a food allergy??

Mary Lynn,

I'm sorry to hear you spent the day in the E.R. with worries about your own health and your baby's. This all must be very upsetting.

Can you give us some more information about the E.R. doc's diagnosis? What is going on with your breast? Is your baby still spitting up blood and showing blood in her stools?

--Rebecca

What a stressful situation for you! I don't have any experience with this issue, but you may want to read the following page on kellymom.com which outlines various causes for blood in a baby's stool:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html

Hope this helps!

In my breast there was like a blister but not really ...just something that hurt like hell and didn't bleed or ouze or anything... The LC that I have been seeing couldn't diagnose it... we were treating it like a nipple bleb but it never resolved itself. This morning was the first time dd threw up blood.. this is the first time I think this thing ever bled... which made me think that it wasn't possible. I thought dd had an allergy but there was no evidence that she did. i cut out dairy and reintroduced it etc...

This afternoon when I nursed her (we were home finally) I notice that there was a small amount of blood. releived that it was me and not something in her...
    I am concerned about her continuing to spit up and throw up blood.

the ER's diagnosis was either my boob or the suctioning of her nose (she has a cold and is congested)

her blood and xrays were normal

Hi! I don't have any advice to offer, but I wondered if everything cleared up? If not, maybe this will put your post higher and someone will see it sooner, and can help? I hope everything is going ok! That seems like it would be very scary!

Her poop is clearing up and returning to normal color slowly. I Have stopped all dairy and tried to stop feeding from the boob that we think she may have taken blood from. However, pumping doesn't drain the breast as well as she can so I have had her feed from it. (although the supply is already decreased) I can't keep up with the demand with pumping. Unless I just feed from one breast.. can I do that until the other heals completely... I am already lopsided and have been for weeks...

Anyway, as a precaution I went to the dr to check my breast out to rule out infection. She concluded that the areola is inflamed and put me on a round of antibiotics.

If dd spits up again or has dark stool I will conclude that it is from me.

Other than tha all of the dr's and nurses that have seen her and commented that she doesn't act like a sick baby so there shouldn't be a need to worry to much.

I am wodnering if it is dairy.... if it is I am so sad I love cheese and started liking milk a whole lot while pregnant. I am using Ricemilk as a substitute and Tofutti icecream for my cravings for sweets.. but it is not the same

Also she had a second blood test 2 days after the ER visits and the GI said her blood counts were down indicating that she is losing blood. We did another test 2 days later and are waiting for the results on Monday. They left a message on Friday while were out and did not leave the results over the phone

Anyway, we will see what they say and I am hoping and praying for the best