Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: White spot on my nipples

Default White spot on my nipples

I have a white spot on my nipples. It is a little sore to the touch. Is this yeast or fungus? My baby does not have thrush. I've had these spots before and they go away and have not affected the baby. But I am afraid of passing anything to her. Help!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: White spot on my nipples

Can you describe if it's flat against your skin tissue or raised?

Have you recently healed from blisters or cracks or thrush or anything else?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I'm not sure I can help much, but I get white spots as well. A friend of mine is a lactation consultant. She has a name for these white spots, but basically it's a blister often associated with plugged ducts. Yeast, I believe, makes red nipples, not white. So it might be such a blister, although if you've had them before with no plugged ducts, maybe not.

Here is a link to KellyMom that goes over a milk blister. Talks about what it looks like (pic) how to treat it, why you get it, etc. HTH!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

well, i now have two of them on the same nipple! got another one just last night. they are dry to the touch (and raised). plus my breasts are a little sore too. i really hope it's just plugged ducts. i examined the baby's mouth this morning and saw nothing unusual. i hate to have to disinfect everything!

I got a couple of them before when I switched to a manual pump while my electric pump was broken. It sounds like a blocked milk duct. For me, I just massaged the area around it. It went away in a couple days. But I think you might want to avoid pumping on that side.

Your breast is going to be sore due to engourgement of that glad. Just keep working it. Try to sit in a tub of hot water. If you can soak it or cover it with a hot wash cloth. I am not 100% sure how to treat it but that is what worked for me.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by sweettooth320 View Post
    well, i now have two of them on the same nipple! got another one just last night. they are dry to the touch (and raised). plus my breasts are a little sore too. i really hope it's just plugged ducts. i examined the baby's mouth this morning and saw nothing unusual. i hate to have to disinfect everything!
    Are they kind of clear, almost bubbly-looking? If they are, they may be blisters rather than plugged ducts.

If it's blistering, you need to go back to square one, troubleshooting your latch and position. This can lead to cracking, bleeding, and infections like thrush or others.

If it's plugged ducts, massage your breast while nursing, pumping, and in the shower.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

they are white, sort of like canker sores. I just drread nursing on it because it's so sore, but i have to do it else the engorgement would get sore.