Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice about starting a "pumping policy"

Default Re: Advice about starting a "pumping policy"

I hate to admit this as a teacher, but I didn't have a coworker to watch the class and had to leave them doing quiet work "alone" at their desks. I was in the next room with the door open so that I could hear everything going on. I hated leaving them - but also hated not having prep time to pump.
    Thanks for the good advice everyone! Hopefully, I can work together with my administration to find a better solution for the next time around

we can't ever leave the kids alone. they are special ed and under constant supervision. but, you had to do what you had to do so... hope it goes better this time!

Yeah, it wasn't a great situation. I am hoping for better communication this year. I wonder if any teachers out there have creative solutions - is it too weird to ask a parent volunteer to help cover a lunch or something? What about other teachers covering? I wish there was already some kind of reasonable policy so I didn't have to just make something up!

Parent volunteer is a great idea! Are you allowed to leave your class with a parent? It's a great idea to keep parents involved regularly anyway and that's a great idea. You can still make that time quiet work or a "drop everything and read" time, but have a parent in there.. maybe let them do some other work while there, but then there's an adult there. If you brought the parents in early in the day and then pumped RIGHT after school, would that be good?

Just have a sign up sheet for parents to come in to cover the classroom at the same time everyday and you can even leave work for them; like passing back work or redecorating the bulleting board or something. You don't have to tell them what you're doing but just let them know that they will be alone with the class for 20 minutes.. I'd still do it in the next room where you can listen. You don't have to be secretive about what you are doing, but at the same time you don't exactly have to put it in the newsletter either. The point is that you simply need 20 minutes a day. As a stay at home mom who breastfed, I would definitely volunteer to do this for my child's teacher.

Thanks for the support! I'm not sure if my principal would ok this idea or not. I have some awesome moms this year...and usually my moms are really great. Anyone else have an idea?