Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamins B-6 and B-12

Default Vitamins B-6 and B-12

Hi I posted this in the solids section but didn't get any reply, so I'll try here. I have recently been taking a vitamin B-6 and B-12 supplement to increase my energy. I have 4 children and I work 32 hrs/wk, breastfeeding, pumping and cosleeping. Well anyway I have noticed when I pump that my milk is much more yellow. Im wondering if this is okay?? I tried to look on Kellymom and it said vitamin B is okay? But it is a noticably different color??? Thanks Amy+4

Default Re: Vitamins B-6 and B-12

Vitamin B is OK. There are limits to the amounts to take for safety though. I would recommend google'ing for the daily requirements for a breasfteeding mother to be sure you do not go above that.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I take about 600% of the RDA of B-12 and probably about the same for B-6, with my Dr's blessing. I take it for exactly the same reasons- to treat perpetual tiredness. I don't work outside the home but have 5 daughters between 16 and 5 months, I spend about 2-3 hours a day driving because we live 20 miles from town and the kids private school doesn't run a bus our way. One of the teens is homeschooled so that is on my plate too.
    YES, it makes my milk have a more yellow tint, just like it does your urine. Never has seemed to bother the baby though or my last child.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

There can indeed be a tint to your bodily fluids with B suplements. There is a safe limit that you don't want to exceed with regard to B6 and here's a link with more info on that, and suppliments in general

Vit B6 shouldn't be taken in excess of 25 mg per day. Very high dosages (600 mg/day) suppress prolactin secretion and therefore will reduce milk production. Excessive oral doses in infants have been reported to produce side-effects in infants (sedation, hypotonia and respiratory distress), but no concerns have been reported via breastmilk.

The vitamin B6 content of milk is directly related to maternal intake, but vitamin B-6 deficiency is rare in the United States. According to one study, B6 levels in women who supplemented with 2.5 mg per day are twice as high as those of unsupplemented women. As far as I could see, this reference didn't discuss moms supplementing with more than 10 mg per day (they were concerned more with deficiencies).

These are some intersting tips to keep in mind with regard to supplements

• Most mineral supplements (e.g., iron, calcium, copper, chromium, zinc) taken by the mother do not affect breastmilk levels.
    • Water soluble vitamin supplements (e.g., B vitamins, vitamin C) taken by the mother usually increase breastmilk levels. Breastmilk levels of some water soluble vitamins, such as vitamin C, only increase up to a certain point, then remain steady – even if mom increases her dose.
    • Fat soluble vitamin supplements (e.g., vitamins A & E) taken by the mother can concentrate in human milk, and thus excessive amounts may be harmful to a breastfeeding baby.
    • The safety of herbs and other nutritional supplements should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis – some are safe and some are not.
    Last edited by Number3; January 26th, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.