Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is burping always necessary?

Default Is burping always necessary?

So last night i tried a new thing to see if my lo who is five weeks old would go to sleep easier after a feeding. Our usual routine is she feeds and falls asleep at the breast and then i put her over my shoulder to burp her at which point she sometimes stays sleeply but usually wakes up the minute i put her down in her crib. Last night instead of burping her after a feeding i simply held her for a few minutes and then put her right down to sleep in her crib without trying to burp her. For 3-4 feedings we had last night she stayed asleep after i put her down. Does anyone have an opinion on if this is a bad idea...not to burp her after a feeding?

Default Re: Is burping always necessary?

the only time i burp LO is after a bottle of EBM....never after the breast
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Hi, I never did really burp my lo after bf. I tried and it never worked so I just let her sleep and once in awhile I would hear her move and burp on her own etc..
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

If you can get her to sleep w/o burping and it's causing no issues, keep it going. There is a lot less air swallowed when bfing...but my girl needed regular burps until 4 or 5 mos. If I skipped it, she'd have a BIG spit up.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I think it depends on if you have a gassy baby or not. I burp my son all the time.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

I burp my 4 week old son after feedings during the day, especially since I am trying to fix his days and nights that he has mixed up by keeping him awake. During the night, unless I have heard a lot of gulping and slurping, I put him right back to bed. He sometimes burps during the day, but not always. If he doesn't he will get fussy-day or night. I haven't had any problems! Good luck!

You'll know if burping is necessary. Your babe will either wake up fussy, or they'll spit up a bunch.

I used to do the gentle burping with my son, where I'd just put him on my shoulder and rubbed his back very gently for a little while. If he burped, great, if not, he went back in bed.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

At about 7 months, my baby boy burped on the boob-a big ol' belch-when I was nursing him in the middle of the night. It took everything I had at that ungodly hour to not laugh!
    Last edited by mommamags; January 27th, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I had to burp DD when she was gassy from an undiagnosed milk allergy. Once we got that under control, no burping.

I never burp my dd at night either. Often, I don't burp her during the day for that matter. As long as she's not spitting up at night, she's fine. I find it's much easier if she's asleep to let her stay asleep and not disturb her. Usually, if she needs to burp, she'll burp on her own when she's upright. Just keep an eye out for lots of spit up, and if she's not having problems, let her sleep.