Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamins for me

Default Vitamins for me

I am breastfeeding my 5 month old. I have been taking prescription vitamins but they are too expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of an over the counter one I could take that would be safe. Thanks for your help !
    Jennifer

Default Re: Vitamins for me

My OB told me the over the counter vitamins are just as effective as the ones he could give me and ALOT cheaper
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by hollandperformancehorses View Post
    My OB told me the over the counter vitamins are just as effective as the ones he could give me and ALOT cheaper

Good job in taking those 'mins, mommy!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

If you have a sprouts near by you may be able to find some great ones there! My MIL told me that any good vitamin will disolve within 20 minutes of sitting in a glass of water. Not sure if it is true though.
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

any otc prenatal vitamin should be fine. You should also try to take a DHA supplement, I think Enfamil makes them, they're in a yellow box and you can get them at Wal mart or regular drugstore.

Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    any otc prenatal vitamin should be fine. You should also try to take a DHA supplement, I think Enfamil makes them, they're in a yellow box and you can get them at Wal mart or regular drugstore.
    They're called expecta.

I've been wondering about this too bc I'm uninsured once again. I'm not sure what to do though bc my ob said to that otc one's were not as strong I was thinking of buying otc and taking two a day instead of one, but I don't know if this works better. Also, I wanted to say most prenatal vitamins don't have a large amount of calcium so buying that would be great too. I love (sp) Vivatacin? They're little chocalate squares that taste kinda of like chocolate but are def. better than regular calcium chewable tablets.
    Last edited by jaki.my.ny; January 28th, 2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

IIRC the level of DHA in your system doesnt up the level in your milk... BUT I could be wrong - I'll go check it out... brb

well can't find that specifically right now but here's this from Dr Sears site.. (keep in mind I think he seels this stuff ) and this from Kellymom which basically says this:
    There is no evidence whatsoever that breastmilk is deficient in DHA, and there is no evidence that DHA supplements taken by a nursing mother will improve the long term outcome or IQ of her baby. Nursing mothers who get more DHA do have have higher levels of DHA in their milk, but it is not known whether these higher levels are beneficial or what the optimal levels might be. Vegetarians, particularly vegans, tend to have lower levels of DHA in breastmilk.

Dr. Thomas Hale recommends that normal breastfeeding women should not be supplemented with polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). He indicates that while it is true that populations who ingest large quantities of fish and therefore polyunsaturated fatty acids do not have cardiovascular disease, he has indication that their rate of stroke is much higher, and so recommends that "supplements" not be used.

Nursing and pregnant women are certainly encouraged to eat natural sources of DHA and alpha linolenic acid.

and yes - regular OTC vitamins are just as good... you can take your bottle to the pharmacy/market and check the levels of each item to get the same approx range
    Last edited by Number3; January 28th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I am still taking my prenatal vitamins, which I got at Target. Same stuff, but I think they were about $7 for 200 of them.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I take OTC Target brand multivitamins. I don't know if they are inferior to say, Centrum, but my LO is growing like a champ. I also take calcium and extra vitamin C. The baby also takes Trivisol.