Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time mom, day 6, milk not coming in...help!

Unhappy First time mom, day 6, milk not coming in...help!

Hi
    My son was born 1/20/08, uncomplicated pregnancy and regular vaginal birth (with epidural). Only issue was I walked around with ruptured membranes for 2 days and didn't notice, other than that I had a text book pregnancy and birth experience, with labor lasting about 8 hours.
    My problem is this, it is day 6 and I don't think my milk is coming in. I really really want to breastfeed, but currently I am having to supplement with formula. The first two days after my little angel was born, he was screaming all day and night, until we went to the peditrician, and turns out, the little guy was super hungry. He's doing great now, I still offer both breasts before offering formula and also pump as soon after the breast as possible. I am getting really frustrated and beginning to feel that I am failing my child. I have an appointment with a lactation specalist firtst thing Monday AM- and really hope we can resolve this.
    Has anyone here ever had a similar experience? Is 6 days too long, and does this mean that maybe I just don't make milk? I am really beginnig to feel like something is wrong with me.
    Thanks so much for any advice or help!

Default Re: First time mom, day 6, milk not coming in...help!

Hi there! Congratulations on your new baby!

I am glad to read that you're going to see an LC on Monday, because 6 days is a little concerning. When you pump, do you get anything at all? What color is it?

How has your postpartum bleeding been? Have you ever had any thyroid issues?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

When I pump after feeding, I get very little, like maybe a few drops. This was the advice of what I should do in prep for my appt on Monday. I pumped a couple of times before, once I got about an ounce, the second time about a quarter of an ounce. The color is always the same, skim milky in texture and white with a yellowy tinge to it.

Postpartum bleeding has been ok, not too heavy, alot like an extended period. I passed some clots a couple of days ago, mentioned this to my OB who said it wasn't anything to be concerned about. Since then the bleeding has gotten a bit lighter.
    I have never had a thyroid issue that I know of. I also have noticed I've been running, what I think is a slight fever- mild body aches, feeling chilly when our house is nice 72 degrees, but my forehead doesn't feel warm. This has been going on since I left the hospital. I have been taking ibprophin (sp) form my stiches (grade 2 tear, no episiotomy- at my request). When it wears off is when I feel kind of icky- again my OB said this could happen when my milk came in.
    Long post.....Thanks for the quick reply
    abbie237

Has your OB checked you for fragments of retained placenta? They can cause infection (Which would be consistent with your fever and general feeling of ickiness) and problems with milk supply.

Keep pumping, keep nursing, and hang in there! Every one of those drops is precious. You're doing a great job!

Have you taken baby in to check to see if there's been any weight difference before and after a nursing session? Pumps aren't always the best indicator of what baby is getting. WHats his weight pattern been?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    Has your OB checked you for fragments of retained placenta? They can cause infection (Which would be consistent with your fever and general feeling of ickiness) and problems with milk supply.

Keep pumping, keep nursing, and hang in there! Every one of those drops is precious. You're doing a great job!
    She hasn't yet. Should I just wait and see the lactation specalist first? My lactation appt is on Monday at 9am. My next apt with the OB isn't until the 6wk post partum.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Have you taken baby in to check to see if there's been any weight difference before and after a nursing session? Pumps aren't always the best indicator of what baby is getting. WHats his weight pattern been?
    We took baby to the peditrician on Wed am, the day after I was discharged from the hospital. I breastfed him in her office, and weighed him before an after, and he actually lost weight between feedings, like half an ounce. We immediatly started him on supplementing with formula, and he sucked down about 2oz of formula right then and there. We went back the following morning, same time, and he had gained nearly 9oz in 24 hours. Since we've been supplementing, he's beenmuch happied, but he only gets formula after a try at the breast.

And congratulations on your new arrival!

It's great that you have local support. I'm glad you found this web resource, too!

What type of pump do you have, Abbie? Have you tried hand expression? Many mothers find that they can get more milk by hand expression alone or by combining hand expression with pumping. Here are two helpful videos:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Would you mind if I ask you a few more questions? Are you taking any medications of any kind? Did you have a birth control shot while you were in the hospital? Do you have diabetes? PCOS? Had breast surgery or injury?

Please, ask away...
    I am not on any medications, except prenatal vitamins, which I have not been so good about remembering to take this week. I don't have diabetes or any other health issues. I didn't have any birth control shot, and I have never had surgery of any kind.
    Prior to getting pregnant, I was training for a marathon, and frequently competed in shorter distance triathlons and half marathon races. I kept running until I was 18 weeks along, then switched to swimming and long walks with the dog until about 30 weeks. By then just doing housework was enough to keep me busy. I have never had any kind of a remarkable health history, and other than prolonged rupture of membranes, I had an uneventful and easy pregnancy. I was really suprised by having problems at this point, I figured breastfeeding would be the easiest part of the pregnancy/childbirth/new mom experience.

I second the supplemental nursing system! I would definilty ask your LC about that on Monday. You are doing great, stick with it and keep us posted!