Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush - The Saga Continues!

Default Thrush - The Saga Continues!

I want to ask more about this thrush stuff. My son is almost 3 mo, and we have been battling with this for a month now. I started off trying to heal us naturally. I washed my nipples with vinager, started taking probiotics, and some "Yeast Defense" from our health food store (but had to stop that because it has garlic in it and was upsetting his little tummy) I started putting GSE on my nipples and in his mouth, but this irritated both of us and I got cracked nipples! YOUCH! I have been washing my sheets in hot water and vinager, using towells once and washing in vinager also. After 2 1/2 weeks I gave in and went to the dr, and he perscribed us Nystatin, and that has also not worked. Yesterday they started me on Fluconazole tablets, but would not perscribe anything different for my son. I have finally got my hands on some Gentian Violet, and have started with this also. I was hesitant to use this because I was told it was a poison. So, I any applying the Gen Violet, taking the Fluconazole, as well as we are both still on probiotics and we are doing laundry like mad! Should I still be using the nystatin in his mouth and on my nipples?
    Sorry this is so long....
    Tahnks in advanse for any replies...

Default Re: Thrush - The Saga Continues!

Just use the GV. My home visit nurse told me it should only take 1 or 2 applications to work. I had thrush. It took 2 applications of the Gentian Violet (in his mouth and on my nipples) and it's gone. I had the Nystatin and it did not work.
    Andie~Wife to Arther~Mom to Alfonso and Colton~

Chomper for 6 months
    so I can go to college part-time

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

Did you dilute the GSE? Are you still taking the probiotics (you and baby both)? Is the GV no more than 1% solution? And, finally, how long is your course of Diflucan?

Here's Dr. Jack Newman's GV handout:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html
    And here is his Diflucan handout:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/20fluconazole.html
    Here is a whole bunch of information on thrush in one resource:
    http://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

Did you dilute the GSE? Are you still taking the probiotics (you and baby both)? Is the GV no more than 1% solution? And, finally, how long is your course of Diflucan?

Here's Dr. Jack Newman's GV handout:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html
    And here is his Diflucan handout:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/20fluconazole.html
    Here is a whole bunch of information on thrush in one resource:
    http://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html
    Yep- diluted the GSE, we are both still on probiotics, the GV is a 1% solution, and I am taking 100 mg of diflucan once a day, for 7 days. Although after some more reading it doesn't sound like this is enough? Should I take more than one a day? and see if I can get another Rx on monday? Or should I ride out what they gave? They knew nothing about the all purpose nipple ointment and I am in a small town that doesn't have a compounding pharmacy.

Thanks for the links...very informative

I battled Thrush for months. Both the babies and I took everything under the sun. The Diflucan worked for me, but not my boys. Finally I used GV. It took two rounds, but if finally cleared the thrush up. Unfortunately it really irritated my nipples which took a while to heal. Good Luck, thrush is horrible.

Hi,

Me and my three month old son have been battling thrush for about 21/2 months. I had tried everything under the sun. Gentian Vlt, Nystatin syrup for my son ( which really did nothing) and the cream for me, that also didn't seem to work. Finally after some research I found out that I needed to take a 2wk treatment of Diflucan ( a double dose of 400mgs the first day and the single dose of 200mg for 14days). Also, I found that you can take Acidophilus supplements to help balance your system back out. NOTHING up until that point seemed to work so I figured it was the last resort. I called my doctor and made an appt. and when I went I printed out the dosage amount from the website and took it with me. This helped because most doctors really don't have enought knowlege about thrush or breastfeeding for that matter. I have been taking the Diflucan for about 3days and the Acidophilus for 5. It has really helped...it took about up until today (the 3days) to feel some relief. Being that I have had this for over 2 months I feel like a new person today not having to deal with stinging and burning when nursing my son. The only thing I am dealing with now is that my nipples are still a little irritated from using the Gen. Vlt. so once that goes away I will be pain free. It's good that you have the Diflucan however, it just depends on how severe your case is whether or not you will need more. I had mine in my milk ducts which I heard was the most difficult to get rid of. Anyway, good luck with clearing yours and also try to add the Acidophilus supplements to your treatment as well. You can find the caplets and capsules at GNC. They have the liquid for the babies as well or you can open the capsules and wet yor finger, dip it into the powder and let the baby suck it off. You can give this once a day to help. Good luck and let me know how things go for you.

From what I've heard you really have to do everything all at once to ensure results. You also need to avoid all sugar and refined carbs to take away the yeast's food source. Taking probiotics is good, but eating a diet rich in good bacteria is important. Anything cultured or fermented helps: sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, pickled beets/veggies/eggs, etc. Also make sure your nipples get lots of air, and some sun if possible!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.