Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: am I doing this wrong?

Default am I doing this wrong?

Ok So I have read here that my three month old should be eating every 2-3 hours by now. She has been fussy the past few days and I have previously been feeding her every 4 hours or so. So the past few days I have been feeding her every 1-3 hours. Every time she is fussy and I just thought that she needs to go back to sleep (cause some one woke her again) so now I just feed her instead of fighting to put her to sleep. so I though that my supply would increase....right? (because I feed more often now) One way I thought my supply would change... is she goes to bed around 7:30 at night and this morning she didn't wake untill 4:30 (co-sleeping) should I be engorged!?! I wasn't.... does that mean my supply is lower... my friends say "in the morning I am hard as a rock"... I am not hard as a rock after 9 hrs at night! is there something wrong? is this a sign of low supply?

Also, when I feed her 1-3 hours in the day she doesn't nurse more than 5 mins on each side. When I was feeding her every 4 hours she would nurse 5-7 mins on each side. I read in here that some women nurse on each side for at least 10 mins.... arg.... Also my flow is to fast for her on one side... (I think) so she has to suck and pull away and that just makes more air bubbles.... and still only 5 mins. Am I doing something wrong... shes not a fussy eater... should I just keep nursing the way I am?

Thank you for your advice... I am so happy to have found this site!

Default Re: am I doing this wrong?

I think everythings fine. Babies get better and faster at nursing as they grow. Iwouldn,t worry about your supply just keep feeding on demand

My babies were both frequent and fast nursers. Sounds normal to me.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

it sounds fine to me, too! my son could easily drain drain both breasts in 10 mins at that age. also, i didn't get engorged after long periods either and i was able to continue nursing my son all the way to 14 mo. (6mo into a pregnancy!). hth!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Forget about time and feeding schedules! Take it from someone who used to watch the clock like a madwoman, it only leads to stress and anxiety. Babies can eat very often or slightly more infrequently, but I think waiting 4 hours (did I read that correctly?) is far too long during the day. At night that is normal. But again, just feed whenever your baby is hungry. You can't go wrong.

Also, some mothers never become engorged. So that "rock hard" sensation is not something that every mom experiences. I personally had a lot of engorgement and leaking, while my best friend had none. We both made enough milk.

Quote Originally Posted by a_hex View Post
    Forget about time and feeding schedules! Take it from someone who used to watch the clock like a madwoman, it only leads to stress and anxiety. Babies can eat very often or slightly more infrequently, but I think waiting 4 hours (did I read that correctly?) is far too long during the day. At night that is normal. But again, just feed whenever your baby is hungry. You can't go wrong.

Also, some mothers never become engorged. So that "rock hard" sensation is not something that every mom experiences. I personally had a lot of engorgement and leaking, while my best friend had none. We both made enough milk.
    Perfectly Said
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

I agree with the previous posters.
    First up hough, you sound like you are doing really well for your little one! Way to go Momma!

Babies have their own schedule for when they need feeding. If you worry too much about clock watching you may forget to listen to your baby. Healthy babies know when they are hungry As they grow they sometimes need food really often, like when they are going through growth spurts, or maybe coming to a new developmental stage and needing some time at your breast to calm down from the stresses of learning about the big wide world.

So long as your baby is gaining weight well and has a good regular output of wet and dirty diapers you know you are doing just fine... and lucky for you it sounds like your breasts know just how much milk to make and you probably just have more capacity in them than your friends who complain of engorgement. In my experience, some women can just hold more milk before they fill up

Watch your baby, not the clock. Remember: What goes in, must come out. The truth is in the diapers. Wet diapers, plenty of poop (whether several times a day or [in a 6+ week old] with days between and one massive dirty diaper)--that's one accurate way to know that your baby IS getting enough.

Don't worry too much about the engorgement thing. After a while, the breasts get very good at putting out the right amount of milk for baby's needs.

Trust your baby, trust your body, trust your mothering instincts. You've got this.

WOW! guys.... thanks a so much for helping me.... its probably my emotions... but it brought a tear to my eye hearing you guys say that it sounds like I am doing it right! Sometimes that's all you need.... just a little encouragement here and there... it means the world to me! We seam to be doing fine... just gotta get in a groove, and thanks to you girls.... I will keep fighting for what I think is the best
    Again... much thanks!!!