Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I so don`t want to do this...

Default I so don`t want to do this...

I`ve been whining about this for a loooong time, but I still don`t have AF. I really don`t know what the whole deal is. It really looked like my period was returning. I started spotting and my milk supply took a big dive. But it turned out to be nothing after all.

Ds still nurses many times each day and he does not take no for an answer. I want to limit him, but he is so sweet when he asks for tsi-tsi (his word for the boob) that I cannot resist. Especially now that he`s sick again. He also nurses a lot at night. I`ve been hesitant to night wean, b/c we co-sleep and it`s really easy to get him back to sleep that way.

Today dh and I were discussing things about my fertility and he mentioned that I might have to quit nursing to get pregnant. I sooo don`t want to do it. It`s not like we are in a hurry, but we would really love to have another little one in our family.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Default Re: I so don`t want to do this...

I can completely understand where you're coming from

Let me just say that for us, night weaning was a god send. It took one night, he was obviously ready and it's been almost 2 months. I, of course, am not encouraging you to do something you're not ready for - just sharing, but for us the night weaning hasn't changed anything else about our nursing habits... except sometimes he will nurse for longer periods during the day.

Good luck mama.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you Number 3. You are always such an encouragement. I`ve been thinking about night weaning but something always comes up. Ds has been sick this whole month. It`s one thing after another. All variations of a simple cold but he`s been needier and whinier than usual. I`m ready to night wean though and will probably start doing it once he gets better.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Well when you do decide to try, take a look at Dr Jay Gordons method. It worked wonders. Perfectly. The first time we tried he wasnt ready so I pulled it on night two and said never mind, but the next time I tried, a few months later, it worked great.

Here's a link with more info.

ETA - here's another link you may find interesting regarding fertility while bf'ing
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Its so hard making decisions when they are sick and need you so much more.

We are planning to use Dr Gordon's method once we move into our new place and get settled. Hopefully DH is prepared to finally go without some sleep
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Hopefully DH is prepared to finally go without some sleep
    If D's ready it will go smoothly and , DH will never know what it means to go without sleep!

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Thank you for the links. I like Dr. Jay Gordon`s method but my situation is a little different. Thing is ds does sleep 7 hrs straight on most nights. Once I`m next to him in bed, he sleeps very well. It`s the time AFTER he`s fallen asleep and before I go to bed. Lately, he goes to bed at 6:30 and from then one wakes up every hour to nurse until I go to bed at 10-11-12. On rare occasions he sleep 2 hours straight. I guess, he doesn`t feel comfortable unless I`m right next to him. So, that at least 2-3 times only in the evening.
    *sigh*maybe, it`s not time yet for another little guy?

Lyn, I so understand you. My dh sleeps so little (about 5 hrs/night) that I feel terrible about waking him up.

Mommy to a busy toddler

Jim Elliot

Okay, I see how that could be difficult to work into your situation... For my guy it was the opposite, sleeping well from 9-12 and then waking 3-4 times from 12-6. I did the 6 hour slot from 12 -6 so he may wake up now and then still but he just gets in our bed and falls back to sleep. I swear he can tell time because w/o fail, almost every morning he;s poking me in the eye saying "mama" and signing nurse...

Maybe just look into the fertility suggestions and see what happens. Have you guys actually tried yet?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

I didn't have periods for a couple of year's after the first, and even when they came back, I did not get pregnant. I considered giving up breast feeding, but decided there was no guarantee that would make me fertile, and I would then have given up for nothing. I decided to take the chance, keep feeding and let "what will be will be". By that stage I was only feeding last thing at night and first thing in the morning. Eventually I did get pregnant, had a miscarriage and thought I may be running out of time, but my GP was very reassuring, and in the end baby number 2 arrived when I was 43. We carried on feeding throughout the pregnancy, and though my supply dropped, it kept going.

It worked out for me, but that said, if you did give up now, with lots of love given in other ways your child would get over it,