Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding to sleep

Default Breastfeeding to sleep

My son is 3 months old and I currently BF him to sleep at night. I have been reading some websites that ademantly oppose this. They say that I should be teaching him to go to sleep on his own by now. Am I wrong to let him go to sleep while BFing? And am I wrong to BF him back to sleep when he gets up at night? I am feeding him on demand.

Also, any tips for baby who doesn't want to nap during the day?

Exclusively a

Default Re: Breastfeeding to sleep

I too nurse my 4 month old to sleep, and love it. So does he! There is so much info out there on exactly what to do, its hard to know what is best. I was told the same information, tried, but he seemed so sad that I now continue to nurse him to sleep, and nurse him the odd time he wakes in the night. I dont see any issues, it is comforting and nurturing. Your LO is still so little at 3 months, you are feeding on demand because he needs you! Good job!

There is nothing wrong with nursing your baby to sleep. Do what feels right to YOU. You are the expert on your baby.

You might find this resource helpful and reassuring:
    http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...rtnursing.html

I say you gotta do what works for you. BUT I would also say, maybe *try* to start getting him to fall asleep on his own now and again, maybe pop him off early and pat him down, or nurse him before he's sleepy and let someone else try to pat him down. Just see how it goes, give him the opportunity and read his vibes. A little whining/fussing isn't the same as CIO, and often they'll just whine or fuss for a second or two and then drop off.

I am still nursing my DD to sleep at 2.5 years and I have NO IDEA how I will ever get her to go to sleep without nursing. But, honestly, this is the only thing that ever worked for her, so there it is. She was an awful sleeper, would never nap, no matter what. Nursing was the only thing that worked, when even that worked. We even did some CIO as well as every other type of sleep training out there at the time

With DS, I was careful to let him fall asleep now and again on his own, and when I visited my mom for a month around when he was 3 mos, she would take him while I put DD to bed and she was able to hold/pat/rock him to sleep.

Now, he's 8.5 mos and his Daddy puts him down for bed every night and naps on the weekends. It's heaven! I do still nurse him to sleep for naps during the day when it's just us, and I nurse him back to sleep however many millions of times he wakes up But it works for him either way, whew!

I have to be there for all of my toddler's naps/bedtimes because she can't go to sleep without nursing, and it is a long road ahead trying to wean her from the nurse-to-sleep connection. I recently stopped giving her a nap so I could cut out that nursing session! How desperate is that??
    Last edited by jadefaerie; January 25th, 2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post

There is nothing wrong with nursing your baby to sleep. Do what feels right to YOU. You are the expert on your baby.

You might find this resource helpful and reassuring:
    http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...rtnursing.html

FWIW, I nursed my first to sleep until she was around 12 mos....I was then able to put her down after nursing before she fell asleep completely.

Currently nursing my almost 6 month old to sleep....it is a blessing and wonderful tool to get them to sleep!

For naps, I would encourage lots of tummy time and interaction, breaking up the awake time by changing rooms, going outdoors, looking into a mirror...give them something to think about and that helps tire them out in my experience. If my dd spends too much time in one spot she gets easily bored and fussy and the more we do, the better she sleeps. Beware of over stimulation though...there's a fine balance in there somewhere.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post

For naps, I would encourage lots of tummy time and interaction, breaking up the awake time by changing rooms, going outdoors, looking into a mirror...give them something to think about and that helps tire them out in my experience. If my dd spends too much time in one spot she gets easily bored and fussy and the more we do, the better she sleeps. Beware of over stimulation though...there's a fine balance in there somewhere.
    Lucky me, I got 2 nonsleepers. My first wouldn't nurse to sleep if her life depended on it, and getting her to sleep was awful. This one nurses to sleep and its so much easier. I am thankful that he is a booby baby!

As for stimulation, babywearing is a great way to avoid it and get just the right amount. They can look when they want to and curl up with mama when they've had enough.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

We nurse to sleep here too. Nap and bedtime. I like it. AS they become older and busier, its nice to have that time to reconnect in one of the most intimate ways between a parent and child.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I agree with other pps that nursing to sleep is a wonderful tool we have as BFing mamas. I often think I should let LO go to sleep without nursing, which is not easy, but then I look at his happy nursing face falling asleep and think oh well. Even at almost 9 months he is still only a little baby, so I'm not too worried about it (although MIL is!).
    Your LO is only 3 months, enjoy this lovely time.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Hi Im Eme and I nurse my toddler to sleep

You've received lots of helpful advice and support - all I can add, really is to say do what woks for you. Ignore what you read/hear that doesnt feel right & absorb what does... as it really comes down to how you would prefer it to be. If you're concerned your child will need you to sleep when he's 17, dont worry that wont happen. Maybe till he's a toddler, or a bit older, but it won't follow you into his marriage... trust me

Remember these years of infancy and toddlerhood are so precious and so short, in comparison to all their lives. We've be blessed with a few short years with them as little ones and I am a huge fan of taking full advantage of every second possible as it will be gone before we know it

good luck

As for the napping tips... can you give us an example of how a regular day goes in your house?
    Last edited by Number3; January 26th, 2008 at 03:05 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Post Re: Breastfeeding to sleep

As for the napping tips... can you give us an example of how a regular day goes in your house?

We get up around 7-8 am. Alexander nurses, diaper, dress. We play on the floor for 30 mins or so. Mommy tries to eat something. Alex will get a bit fussy again so usually it is feeding time again. Then he seems tired (or has fallen asleep on breast) so I try to put him down for nap. HE may sleep for 20 mins but then he is awake again ready to play. Sometimes I go to a mom's group at 10:30am or else it is 1:30. Midafternoon we willl go for a walk if it is not too cold. Alex consistently eats about every 2 hours then sleeps 6-7 hours at night.
    Alex used to regularly nap at about 10:30 (for an hour)and then again at about 3pm (for 2-3 hours)