Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I go back to work

Thumbs down I go back to work

next tursday. I'm so nervous about talking with my boss about pumping. I talked to her about it while pregnant and she said that I should supplement. I don't want to!!! I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when I go back thrusday. I'm only working from 12:30 to 5:30 thursday though. I mean I could even just go out of the room and feed her. I work at a daycare and she is going back with me. SHe will be in a room down the hall. Is that to much to ask for though? I realize if I'm needed then I can't leave but surely they could let me out for 15 min every 3 1/2 hours right? How do i go about talking to my boss about it?? I am really not looking forward to it after the conversation we had while I was pregnant.

Default Re: I go back to work

I don't think you should supplement. Your boss has to allow you breaks to pump or nurse.

wow! she told you to supplement? that seems rude to me, sort of pushy! it seems like pumping would be silly if you can feed her? the time would be the same so why would it matter to the program if you're pumping or nursing? i don't think i could pump if i knew my lo was right down the hall! i'd definitely want to be holding him and feeding him! good luck, i remember being afraid of the conversation too! i phrased mine with a choice of two options that would work for me and let my boss pick. i didn't leave a choice of somethign that wouldn't work for me. i said i could go pump at lunch or at recess, which would she prefer? either time worked for me. it felt easier to do that.

Here is a link about breast feeding and the law. I guess most states don't have laws to protect you, but there is a section on breast feeding and working which provides some ideas on how to talk to your boss and find time to pump.

http://www.llli.org/Law/LawUS.html?m=0,1,0
    Last edited by Lance's Mommy; January 26th, 2008 at 02:36 PM.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Will you get any sort of break during the time that you'll be at work? Can you use that break time to feed baby? If the schedule you posted will be the schedule you'll always be working, one break in the middle should be enough.

Do you have a sling or baby carrier of some kind that you can nurse in? Can you compromise and pop baby in a sling to nurse, so you can stay in the room with the other kids and still participate in their stuff, while nursing your baby, too?
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I just wanted to let you know that where i live it is a law for employers to allow their employees to pump. My boss wasnt to happy about it either, so i clock out to pump but he'll just have to get over it b/c this is what i want to do for my child and i couldnt supplement even if i wanted to b/c my lo won't take formula () So hopefully it will work out for you. And how lucky are you to be able to work and have your baby down the hall! Thats awesome! Good luck

I believe that most labor laws require your employer to give you a 15 minute break every two hours, but I'm not positive about that. Something to look into.

Can you point out to your boss that women whose children are breastfed take fewer sick days to take care of sick kids, since breastfed babies have lower rates of illness?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Aly&Layla View Post
    next tursday. I'm so nervous about talking with my boss about pumping. I talked to her about it while pregnant and she said that I should supplement. I don't want to!!! I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when I go back thrusday. I'm only working from 12:30 to 5:30 thursday though. I mean I could even just go out of the room and feed her. I work at a daycare and she is going back with me. SHe will be in a room down the hall. Is that to much to ask for though? I realize if I'm needed then I can't leave but surely they could let me out for 15 min every 3 1/2 hours right? How do i go about talking to my boss about it?? I am really not looking forward to it after the conversation we had while I was pregnant.
    First, how you choose to feed your baby is your business. Don't let your boss influence that decision or intimidate you.

Also, check the laws regarding breaks. I don't know if every states requires it, but I believe most require that for a certain number of hours worked, you get a 15 min break.

I was very matter-of-fact when I announced to my superiors that I would be pumping 3x's/day. I basically just told them I'd like to pump for the health benefits it would provide my baby and myself. Businesses/bosses care about what will benefit them (not to say they won't care about you personally, but...). You will actually be more productive by continuing to BF/pump. I also offered to cut my 1 hour lunch to 30 minutes, if they preferred. I really didn't want to do it, but I always try to make a secondary offer that will benefit them when I ask for certain things. KWIM?

Also, if you can send an email about it, I would so you get a written response (or get something in writing another way).

Good luck! I know it's hard...
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Aly&Layla View Post
    HR hat ON! #1 So completely out of line to tell you supplement! You should look in to your states specific guidelines but by law they have to allow you pumping breaks. HOWEVER, beyond that, on a 5hour shift you are allowed on 15min break and you can use it HOWEVER you like. So if you choose to go feed your child live, you should be allowed to do it. I think that 3:30 every day should be a great time to feed your baby! I would also encourage you to show up EARLY every day so you can feed her right before you hand her over. Then you know she's not going longer than 3.5 hours. (And do you have a fridge or freezer stash?) If you bring one 3 oz bottle AND you break to feed her you should be golden! Good for you! NO supplements!

Way too lazy for formula