Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decrease in supply

Default decrease in supply

just wondering if anyone has had a drop in supply since pumping at work. my seems to be going back and forth. sometimes its high and sometimes its low confused

Default Re: decrease in supply

Many mothers experience pumping output fluctuations while working. Sometimes, it's due to normal weekly fluctuations. For example, lots of mothers seem to have a higher supply at the beginning of their workweek, after spending a weekend at home nursing baby. By the end of the week, their output seems to be down a bit.

Other times, a lower output can be due to stress, hydration, menstruation, or even something as simple as not putting the pump together quite right, so that the suction isn't quite what it's supposed to be.

If you're looking for more specific info, or notice that the output drop is more longterm, please let me know, and we'll delve into it more. :-)
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon View Post
    For example, lots of mothers seem to have a higher supply at the beginning of their workweek, after spending a weekend at home nursing baby. By the end of the week, their output seems to be down a bit.

Boy is this ever me
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

I used Mothers milk tea to help keep my supply up....that and pumping 5x a day for 3 bottles....I would also pump on weekend mornings at DS peak of milk intake to ensure enough while I was gone.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Menstruation really affected my supply...for several months before my period came back even. I also sometimes pumped on weekend mornings just to be sure I would have enough for my workweek. Fenugreek and blessed thistle are herbs I took to help increase my supply later in my dd's first year. You might consider talking those over with a doctor or LC.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Menstruation really affected my supply...for several months before my period came back even. I also sometimes pumped on weekend mornings just to be sure I would have enough for my workweek. Fenugreek and blessed thistle are herbs I took to help increase my supply later in my dd's first year. You might consider talking those over with a doctor or LC.

I take the herbs and I pump on the weekends, not for enough for the week but to keep my supply up thru the week. I tend to have a low supply after nursing all weekend. He doesn't nurse as often as I pump, so I pump so that on Monday I still make enough for the next day. My pump definatly does not take out as much as he eats. Hope that makes sense.