Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: air travel

Question Re: air travel

I also have a question about air flight. But what I'm worried about is the germs! I was thinking that maybe if I took some of the Airborn stuff that's supposed to booste your immune system, that some of it would come through in my breast milk and give my 3 mo old a little extra protection. Does anyone know if that would work or if the high dose of vitamins and herbs could be harmful to his little system.

Default Re: air travel

I've always just taken my regular vitamins (Prenatals and Omega 3s) since I had DS. Pre-DS I used to take extra vitamin C before flying.

My ped advised me to turn off the air blowers when we fly because of germs, so we do that, too. She also said that wearing your baby is better than a stroller because people are more likely to respect your personal space and not come right up and touch your baby.

Funny you should mention this samantha6672. I posted previously on this thread about how great my dd was w/ her first flight. Ok, now my entire family, myself, dh, and both dd's are sick w/ colds. I think, like you said, it was germs in the recirculated air on the plane. I wish I had thought of airborne or extra vitamins as well. I would try it - it certainly can't hurt and it sure beats the whole house being sick at once

Yup, I'm also worried about DS getting sick. I am planning on "wearing" him instead of "wheeling" him. Originally for convenience so we don't have to deal with the stroller in security. I'm also going to stock up on the hand sanitizer and use it OFTEN! Great idea about the air vents. I'll remember to keep them closed.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Well, the trip went great for the most part. Lucas was a real trooper. Honestly didn't cry the whole week, let alone on the plane. I nursed him at take off and landing pretty uneventfully. DH helped shield me---can't say that I am any more comfortable NIP, though. It's just not for me, I guess.

DS DID get sick, though Despite the compulsive use of hand sanitizer, and all the great ideas from the PP. 48hrs after getting off the plane the coughs and sneezes started and it's been full blown cold for 4 days now.

What can I do to make nursing more comfortable? He's having such a hard time breathing. I've tried the BM in the nose but the relief doesn't last longer than a couple minutes. I've also been running a hot shower and nursing him in the steamy bathroom. This was ideal in a hotel but at home I don't have that much hot water!

Any ideas? How long do baby colds tend to last?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001