Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's the deal with Avacados?

Question What's the deal with Avacados?

I have heard several mothers saying they feed their babies avacados. Is this a good food when introducing solids? What does it provide that is good for baby? How should it be prepared?

Default Re: What's the deal with Avacados?

heres more info
    http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

avacados are great, good fats food...and most babies eat them, they have a nice mild taste.

He gets avocado at almost every dinner meal. And it's so easy to prepare that it is really a great first food!

Fat is veeeeeeeeery important for babies.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

It's really good for them; as healthymama said, they need fat, and it's a great source. If avocado alone doesn't seem to appeal to him, what we did at first was mix it with banana and a little breastmilk. Now he loves it by itself.

My DS loves it and it's very healthy and good for them. I grew up with an avocado tree in my backyard (as well as a mango tree) so it was always part of our diet growing up. When I tell my mom I pay $5.00 USD per 3 small ones she almost dies Anyway, you just cut it open and get the "meat" out with a spoon and smash it. I mix it with BM but if your LO is older you can also add lime or lemon juice or you can make smoothies with it.

Avacado was DS's first food after cereal. It is 'nutrient dense' -- it has good fats and more calories than other fruits. The meat is very soft when ripe, and I spread it on toast for him every morning for breakfast.

My LO loves avacado. The PP have already told you about the health benefits. I would also mix it with banana until he could feed himself, now I just cube it and drop it on his tray. It's not a bad mommy snack either

ETA: It's also super convienant. If we were going somewhere over a meal time I would just throw a whole avacado in the diaper bag and cut it up where ever we ate that day!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I also think avocados are amazing. They're so easy to prepare, so healthy, and he loves them. I cut it in half, take the pit out, and spoon out the inside. Then I mash with a fork and that's it. I buy the organic ones that are like $2 each but I don't care
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Let me also sing the praises of avocados. They are full of good fats, nutrient dense, and so easy to prepare. Oh, did I mention that they're tasty? I make some guacamole for DH and me and just mash the avocado for the little guy.