Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snacking vs. meals - not getting enough hindmilk?

Question Snacking vs. meals - not getting enough hindmilk?

So, I tallied up the average number of times my 5-month-old nurses - it is something like 15 times in 24 hours! The reason I even counted is because lately, he has seemed uninterested in nursing when I offer it to him. This is especially the case with nursing to sleep, which he usually likes to do at night and for maybe 50% of naps. Well, lately he seems so frustrated trying to get to sleep - maybe because he is not hungry? In any case, he doesn't want to comfort-nurse, even when he is clearly very tired! He has even cried while nursing. Ack! Anyway, I've noticed that if I take a "break" and wait about 2.5 or 3 hours or so to feed him, he seems so much more satisfied. I've always nursed on demand, but I'm realizing that his needs have changed. Still, it feels weird to not be nursing him for 3 hours! I know other babies are okay going this stretch at his age, but in the past he's always nursed more frequently, so I am just a little nervous. Then it occurred to me that maybe he needs the hindmilk from longer feedings? Output, growth, and supply are all great, thankfully.

Thoughts? Advice? Both welcomed! Thanks so much!

Default Re: Snacking vs. meals - not getting enough hindmilk?

no advice really, but my 5 mo old eats every 3 hours and actually i'm hoping to space that even more so i don't know how you feed more often then that . He eats 7-8 times a day for 5-7 min each feeding and he's over 98% in weight! so i'm guessing if he's willing to go longer b/w feedings, let him?? he may eat longer at a session?

My son is 15 weeks and eats every 2.5 to 3 hrs.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Does your son seem interested in nursing each of those times? My son was a frequent nurser at that age and still is today. You can stretch the time between feedings if it seems your boy isn't really hungry all of those times. Or, you could try to nurse him from the same side 2 times in a row. That way you would be more assured he was getting the hindmilk. Be careful because this can hurt you supply.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

This is what was happening with my son around 6 months. He was nursing so frequently and never getting full-which is why he had to nurse frequently. As soon as I was able to stretch the time in between feedings to 3 hours, he got more milk, got more full, and was satisfied longer. My doctor recommended trying to increase the time in between feedings by 10 minutes until he got to at least 3 hours between feedings. It was so much easier after that!

15 times in a 24 hour period is A LOT. I would try to start stretching the time in between and he will get more and be more satisfied. Your body will have more of a chance to produce the amount of milk he needs too. He should be taking in more oz. which means nursing less frequently. Due to the frequent nursing, he probably isn't taking enough oz. each time he nurses.

I also think the "stretch out nursing session by 10 minutes" is a good idea, if the "15 nursing sessions per 24 hours" thing is not working so well for you.

BUT...

Quote Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
    I would try to start stretching the time in between and he will get more and be more satisfied. Your body will have more of a chance to produce the amount of milk he needs too.
    Not quite true. Your body produces milk as you nurse. Your body produces milk FASTER when the breast is less-full (some people say "empty"). The milk from a less-full breast is fattier than milk that has been sitting around in the breast for hours. Therefore, it's more filling.

I nurse twins. Many a day, I have nursed one baby on both sides, then nursed the second baby on both sides, who is also then satisfied. (I admit, though, that the second baby will want to nurse again before the first baby.)

Just a couple things to remember, OP, as you work on your situation! Good luck!

NOt much advice except that I know exactly how you feel...my dd used to eat about every one to two hours and has recently become very efficient and can sometimes go three or four hours w/o eating...You get used to it and eventually you get accustomed to their new eating habits

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Does he get upset when nursing straight away? If it's a little way into a feed, maybe he's just full. Older babies feed very efficiently so it doesn't take long for them to have enough.

As PP says, when you nurse more regularly, the baby gets more hindmilk.

My DS also is a frequent nurser. At that age he'd feed every 30-60 minutes. Sometimes just for a few minutes. If he got annoyed with one side, I'd offer him the other and he'd usually nurse for a while there too. He takes both sides at every feed (unless he falls asleep on the first side). Sometimes he instantly would be annoyed with one side, but wants the other side.

At that age he may also be having his 6-month growth spurt - which is a biggy!

Quote Originally Posted by mommyturtle View Post
    no advice really, but my 5 mo old eats every 3 hours and actually i'm hoping to space that even more so i don't know how you feed more often then that . He eats 7-8 times a day for 5-7 min each feeding and he's over 98% in weight!
    Sounds just like my LO. He eats about 8 times a day, but for such a short time. I would worry about how much he's getting, but he is in the 97% percentile and doing GREAT!!!!

I thought I had over-supply, but it seems to be evening out. I do feed twice on the same side then switch... maybe that helps!

I don't really think it has to do with hindmilk/foremilk so much, but most babies are very distractible at that age. And they are very efficient nursers. So I think it's natural that they may not need to nurse as often and we are forced to find other ways to meet their needs. This was my experience at that age anyway.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.