Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Homo Milk Storage

Default Homo Milk Storage

Hi All:

I have introduced my almost 12 month old baby boy to homo milk. He wasn't too fond of it at first so I gave it to him first thing in the morning when he is the thirstiest. Sure enough he started drinking it. I was wondering, since he doesn't drink all the milk in his sippy all at once, how long can I leave the milk out before it gets spoiled? I want to leave it out prior to him drinking so that it's room temperature and not cold out of the fridge. In the afternoon I give him water. I am still nursing (1x midmorning and 1x at bedtime).

Also, he has had a cold for the past 3-4 days and he has quite a bit of phlegm. Do you think that giving him homo milk is creating that phlegm as well? Should I stop giving him dairy (yogurt, milk, cheese) until his cold disappears?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Homo Milk Storage

Is there a reason that you need his milk room temperature? Just curious....at a year old, warming isn't necessary. If your child prefers it, you could take the chill off by running the cup under warm water or using the microwave.

I've also recently read that dairy is OK and does NOT cause excess phlegm. let me find a link........

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032100.asp#T032105 There's a section that says "Does Milk Make Mucous?"

I just toss it and get fresh milk when it becomes room temperature or warmer, but I give it to her cold from the fridge (16 months).

I think dairy (milk anyway) does cause phlegm. I am assuming that the milk is pasteurized, in addition to being homogenized? Both damage the milk and make it more difficult to digest, which exacerbates any sensitivity he may have. I would scale back till the cold is gone so you can tell for sure what's causing the mucus.

Also, are you trying to get him to drink it as part of weaning him? If you are not actively weaning, then there's no reason he "needs" it. And even if you are, he is still okay with just BF as long as it's at least 3-4 times per day. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Thanks for your responses! I am giving him the homo milk as part of weaning because I am going back to work as of February. I still plan on nursing 2x a day (1x when I get home from work and 1x at bedtime) he does get water the rest of the day. I just thought that giving the milk in the morning would add a bit more calories...

FWIW, weaning before you go back to work is not necessary. You can still nurse him as much as you want while not working and he can regulate his intake just fine. If you still want to wean, posting to the weaning forum might give you some more ideas. And the working/pumping forum might be helpful to you as well. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.