Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6.5 months and only having 18oz ebm per day?!? HELP!

Default 6.5 months and only having 18oz ebm per day?!? HELP!

DD is 6.5 months old, started solids at 6 months, had a cold (but is over it now, has been for a few days) and has gone from 32-36oz a day of ebm down to 18-20oz. She is only eating 2tbsp oatmeal cereal, and 2-4tbsp of veggie/fruit twice a day. She is wetting less (and they smell now, sign of dehydration?) and has gone from 4 bms a day down to 1. For the last few days I have gone down to 1 meal of solids per day and that has made no difference in the ounces of ebm (in fact, it's a couple less). Today I am trying NO solids. Is this similar to a nursing strike?

What should I do?

Default Re: 6.5 months and only having 18oz ebm per day?!? HELP!

Are you exclusively pumping? It does sound like it could be a nursing strike. Do you always offer breastmilk before solids? At her age, solids are just for fun and the learning expirence, so even though those ammounts aren't really loades of solids, far less (or even none) would be ok too.

Have you tried feeding her in a quiet, dark room?

Is Lauren distracted? My ds has had problems in the last month or so (he's 6.5 months also) with being easily distracted. It has become normal for us to have to go to my bedroom for him to nurse; he has to be in a quiet dimmly lit area to be able to concentrate on what he is supposed to be doing. I would stop the solids for a little while and nurse as much as possible. The cold may have upset her appetite, you don't like to eat when you have a cold do you? Do a nurse-fest; snuggle with her and try to get her to nurse more. I would be concerned about the change in her diapers. Will she take a bottle of ebm? If she is becoming dehydrated any little bit helps.

Def could be a little nurse strike. My ds who is 14 months just did a similar thing, I do not pump but I know that he was hardly eating anything for days... You may want to check to make sure that an ear infection/soar throat are not the culprit. Just keep offering her EBM, probably no solids right now and I bet she will come back soon. All the best!

An ear infection maybe? my dd seems to get these after every cold her disinterest in nursing can last several days.

I am having similar difficulties as a working/breastfeeding new mom. As I've been surfing the internet I've discovered that your milk supply can diminish right before your period is going to start. I'm hoping this is the problem with me also. I also have a nagging mother-in-law who is my day care provider who is constantly telling me that she needs more milk for him. I think the added stress is also making my milk supply go down. I'm on the verge of giving up, but I also know that my mother in law would freak out about that....I need help on both fronts. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.
    thanks