Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how often to feed beginner?

Default how often to feed beginner?

i just started my 7 mos old on cereal last week and he's been lapping up about 4tsps once daily. i tried to give him potato mixed with EBM but he pooh-poohed it out! will try carrots or sweet potato this week.

Questions:

1. how often should i give him solids now that i've just started out? when do we increase to 2x a day?

2. when i do give him solids twice a day, do i offer the same food? or can i give something he's had previously one time in the day and then something new later in the evening?

you know, if someone could compile ALL the nitty gritty FAQs of everyone's concerns into a nice encyclopaedic volume, that'll be GREAT!!!

Default Re: how often to feed beginner?

Might as well keep it just once a day until he seems to want it more often. 9 mo is a good age to add a 2nd meal for most babies.

You can totally offer different foods at different meals. In fact, you can offer more than one food at the same meal, provided you keep portions reasonable (ie a good rule is 1 tablespoon per year of age = 1 serving of that particular food).

Also, remember to always nurse before offering solids so baby fills up on beastmilk and soilds are just a little extra afterwards.

Default Re: how often to feed beginner?

Also, remember to always nurse before offering solids so baby fills up on beastmilk and soilds are just a little extra afterwards.
    I tried to keep this in mind, too. Another way of putting the same thing: solids are like dessert/ for socialization, etc.

I offered solids once a day for maybe months 7-9 whenever at whatever meal I was having that he seemed most interested in. I gave cut-up banana, avocado, lentils or O's... mostly finger-foods, so that he could use his pincer grasp/practice self-feeding. Later, it became twice a day (breakfast and dinner). At 13 months, we still don't usually do "lunch"

Every baby is different, of course!