Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One breast bigger with more milk

Question One breast bigger with more milk

Hi to all!

One of my breast is way bigger and producing two time the amount ok milk. My doctor told me yesterday that if I dont equilibrate my milk production that when I will stop breastfeeding, this one breast will remain bigger than the smaller one.

The thing is that this bigger breast have always been bigger. But this difference in milk production, is it going to accentuate the difference between the breast after I stop breastfeeding?

Also, I had a lot of problem since the beggining of my breasfeeding (thrush, vasospasm, etc.). I was not able to continu at week 6 to breastfeed full time because it was to painfull (I was followed by professionnal in lactation and I was not able to have a painfree breasfeeding). I am now for the past 3 weeks breasfeeding and alternating with the bottle (my milk or formula, dépending on my pumping and pain in the breast). I can not go back to full time nursing, though I have retried it is to painfull. Is theire a way to recreate an equilibrium between the two breast while breastfeeding every 6 hours?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Laulau

Default Re: One breast bigger with more milk

I have one that produces more than the other... I think. My lo seems to get plenty from both sides and that's what's important. There's also a size difference at times. Feed more often on your smaller size???

My breast have always been like that as well but there were a couple of weeks that somehow my right side was producing way too much because I was constantly engorged. What I did was I would feed my lo twice on the opposite side and once on the fuller side, and I repeated this for about a week. If my fuller side got too full between feedings I would hand express about an oz or two. Eventually it went back to normal. But since the beginning and today the right side has always produced more, although now not a significant amount than the left.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Hi! Sorry about your milk troubles! As for your doctor, I say Phooey! I nursed my son from Aug 2006 to Oct 2007 exclusively on my right breast. For some reason he totally rejected the left breast after he was only 4 months old. He weaned in Oct '07 at 17 months and I can tell you that my right breast went back to normal. It's totally the way it was before all of that work it did exclusively for one year plus! So don't listen to him.

While I was nursing, my right breast was sooo much bigger- it was funny when a friend or someone studied my shirt and noticed! My one friend at work would chuckle at me each week when I'd come in (i work once a week) at my lopsidedness when I was nursing.

I'm not sure much about relactating the other breast, are you pumping near the time that your baby nurses on the other breast?

Like PP, I also only nurse on my right side. My DS also completely refuses to nurse from left side. I still pump LF 2 or 3 times per day and only get 6-8 OZ per day which I use for the days I work out of home. About the size, my left size was bigger so although I can notice the difference when my RS is full I don't think is too noticeable. If your LO nurses from the breast that has less milk, try to nurse more frequently from it to see if it improves. Good luck.

I had an infection in my left breast that I believe caused tissue damage and led to low supply on that side. I learned to accept it, and move on. If Mothers with twins can successfully nurse two babies with one set of breasts, surely we can manage with lopsided breasts.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Sounds like baloney to me.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

After my LO was born my left side was always bigger and produced more. Then at around six weeks my right breast was suddenly bigger and producing more. Weird. He gets plenty from both sides.

I would suggest nursing more often on the smaller breast. That should help balance things out.
    Homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering Mama to Jason (11/6/07).

Baby #2 due in January 2009.

Welcome to the club!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

My Mom nursed my brother and sister predominantly on her right side- no medical reason, she just felt it produced better and her babies liked it better. She's got a great rack for a post-menopausal lady - and no lingering lopsidedness!