Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: refusing to brestfeed during the day

Default refusing to brestfeed during the day

Hi, I would really appreciate some advice. My LO is almost 4 months old. I work during the day, and pump for her. I also come home once during the day to nurse her.
    Until now she had no problem switching from the bottle to the breast, but lately she has been refusing to breastfeed during the day, and will only brestfeed at night. During the day she will latch on for a second and the twist her head, repeatedly never eating for more than a minute or so.
    Is there anything i can do?? Please help me as I almost ready to give up!
    Thank you so much.

Default Re: refusing to brestfeed during the day

i don't have any advice but i hope it gets better. i return to work in march so i hope this doesn't happen to me.

Is there a distraction for her during the day? Or maybe she's just excited to see you and have you close by! I'm sure she's becoming even more aware of her surroundings at this point.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

While my son was 4mo he did the same thing to me. It felt like he was barely eating but he had enough output so I felt a little better. It might be a phase. She does end up eating several times a day still, just not her regular full meals?
    My son would go for 4hours, which is a lot for him, but eventually once he got hungry enough that life around him was less interesting he would eat. One of the things I did to make sure he ate well was to nurse him to sleep during his nap time, then nurse him during mid-nap if he accepted, and finally when he woke up so that he would get plenty and I didn't worry later on in the day. Be patient, from what I've read it seems like babies change a lot during the 4mo, I was confused at first too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

thanks for your encouragement!!! I do try and nurse in a clam, realxed, and darkened room...but it doesnt seem to be helping. Could she be teething this early on? If so wouldnt the bottle hurt her too?

It really does sound like your little is going through the same thing. We thought my little one was teething too because he normally took 3-6 oz and would barely take 2oz, I would try dark rooms too..but nothing Now he's 5.5mo and for the last 2-3 weeks his eating habits have come back to normal.

I wouldn't stress it mama...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

It might be teeth, but I would say the excitement you bring just by being there is the distraction. try taking a few minutes to just play wait until she gives you "the signal" my LO would be fine then suddenly rub his face against my collar bone like heck...that was the key moment between not hungry and FEED ME NOW
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

my lo refuses to eat during the day as well!! SO the first two feeds of the morning I breastfeed - each breast separate feeding I am assuming because they are at their fullest, then the rest of the day is Expressed Breastmilk in a bottle! I was upset in the beginning, but Ive accepted that she is still getting bm either way! Not that I am saying this is what you should do, but I feel your pain! Hope my experience helps!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Thanks for your help everyone , so i guess there is no solution except to try and wait it out a few more weeks, i guess i am in for more totally sleepless nights lets hope that this too shall pass

Do you co-sleep? That totally helps take the edge off (at least for me)!

What type of bottle are you using? When we switched to the Breastflow DD drank much less from the bottle and nursed a lot more readily (since she wasn't stuffed when I got home from work)!

Hang in there!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.