Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: almost 4 weeks and severly frustrated

Default Re: almost 4 weeks and severly frustrated

It sounds like you have mastitus starting...Oh No! I have no personal experience with that but let's see if we can get a Leader to jump in by bumping the thread!

Way too lazy for formula

I had to put her back on to the formula but i talked to my health nurse about it, she said to do the same thing, but i can keep trying to breast feed in the mean time.
    Why did the health nurse want you to put her back on formula?

Anyways everytime i breast fed her about a 1/2 hour after she would get really fussy and start drawing up her legs and kicking them out and letting out "im hurting" cries, her tummy was gurgling and she was really gassy ,
    Sometimes something you are eating can affect your baby through your milk. Dairy is a very common one, but there are others.

i also put milk of mine in the fridge and it was bad the next morning had a horrible odor and a horrible taste to it, she had some in a bottle and threw it all up ( not the bad stuff but fresh from the pump) now we have to wait for the cold snap to end to go to the doctors,
    Here is an article that may help you: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html

but i want to know has anyone ever heard of your breast milk maybe being bad inside of you? is this possible, or maybe is it possible due to infection or mastitis??
    No, breastmilk never goes bad inside you. You can continue to nurse even with a mastitis infection--in fact it's BETTER that you do, because nursing helps to clear up the infection.

my nipples have white ***** bumps on the top which are surropunded by red bumps and i have several large sore lumps in my breasts as well as really painful pins and needles starting from my collar bone to half way down my stomach, it hurts when she latches on to the point i want to cry and scream and when she stops sucking it hurts the same. Im going to keep trying to put her at the breast but im going to monitor her reactions to it, but like the health nurse said if she is reacting that way to the breast milk take her off it, so im going to use mainly formula till i get to the docs, but anyone have any ideas??
    This sounds very much like it might be a mastitis infection. I would urge you to call your doctor's office ASAP.

Hang in there!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

ive been in to see the health nurse several times since grace was born, and the nurse cant figure out why im having the problems im having, shes in agreeance that im having the problems but we dont know why, anyways she said to me this morning if the formula stops her from hurting and is making her happy and the breastmilk is hurting her and making her fussy then to put her on the formula till i can get into the doctors and find out whats going on, there was no need to keep my child in pain is what i think she was saying when there was another option available to her just till we can get her checked. My diet is the same thing i ate while i was pregnant but i cut out all spices and anything that is acidic. Now i know everyone keeps saying nursing with an infection or anything with your breasts etc is good for you, but i dont understand how it doesnt affect the baby? if its an infection wouldnt that infection infact be being past on to her system and maybe her tummy is fighting it the only way it knows how and making it reject the milk (throwing up and gas), like i said i dont know much about breastfeeding but i do know my child is in distress on the breastmilk and she isnt on the formula, i know there is something wrong with my breasts but i dont know what, and now thanks to the -48 weather i cant get into the hospital to get checked neither. Im not disputing what anyone says, im just new to this and i have a lot of questions and i have a child who is having problems only when she drinks the milk i make and that is frustrating me
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

it can be rough these first few weeks and we understand.

But the infection won't be affecting your milk. It is going to be something like an allergy to something you've eaten or somthing like that. Cna you take a look at this site to see if theres something there that is helpful?

You said you have a pump to at least keep up a supply?

Can you just call your doctor on the phone to talk about it? A mastitis infection isn't something you want to let go. Here's a little more info on mastitis

keep us updated
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

So i went to the docs today, unfortunatly i couldnt take my daughter with me since its still -45 outside, anyways he could find no signs of infection but he thinks i may have got it mostly cleared up if there was one so he put me on antibiotics for mastitis to finish it off, he also told me it was a good thing i put my daughter on the formula it sounds like she is reacting with something in my milk, he told me to pump for two days, let the meds get into my system then put her back on the breast, whatever it is, whether its due to the infection or something new i ate should be out of my system, if she reacts again im to take her off the breast for two more days, just in case it is an infection and give it two more days then put her back on the breast again, if she reacts again he told me to take her off the breast till the 8th when her 6 week appointment is, she might not be able to tolerate something in my milk, but her father has a milk allergy to milk fat he cant have it so maybe it has something to do with that. Also another thing i wanted to see if anyones noticed with their child, mine is always hungry just last night she drank 20oz's of formula between 1130pm and 9am, no wonder she was non-stop sucking on my breasts there is no way im making that much milk yet, i asked the doctor while i was there if that was normal and okay that she ate that much and he asked me if she seemed like she had an upset tummy at all and i told him no and he said then she is fine, let her eat she will stop when she is ready, she is probably going through a growth spurt. So i figure even if she was strictly breastfeeding right now we would have had to supplement anyways because that is an awful lot of milk for her because she was even drinking that much when she drank up all the breast milk i had stored when i first took her off my milk. Im hoping whatever it was will clear up with these antibiotics, and im not introducing anything new to my diet just sticking with everything i eat normally so i can get her back on the breast, if it is an allergy then she will probably need a soy formula but at least she got a months worth of breastmilk into her. so im crossing my fingers that its just an infection of some sort that her digestive system took a hating for and she will be able to breastfeed again.
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

So i went to the docs today, unfortunatly i couldnt take my daughter with me since its still -45 outside, anyways he could find no signs of infection but he thinks i may have got it mostly cleared up if there was one so he put me on antibiotics for mastitis to finish it off,
    So is the pain, redness, etc. gone then? I hope you're feeling better!

he also told me it was a good thing i put my daughter on the formula it sounds like she is reacting with something in my milk, he told me to pump for two days, let the meds get into my system then put her back on the breast, whatever it is, whether its due to the infection or something new i ate should be out of my system, if she reacts again im to take her off the breast for two more days, just in case it is an infection and give it two more days then put her back on the breast again, if she reacts again he told me to take her off the breast till the 8th when her 6 week appointment is, she might not be able to tolerate something in my milk,
    It's perfectly fine to nurse during a mastitis infection. Many antibiotics are also safe to take while breastfeeding. If you have the name, I can look up some safety information if you'd like.

If baby is reacting to something in your milk, it's most likely something you're eating in your diet, so it can be easily remedied by cutting it out of your diet. You might find it helpful to keep a food diary to see if some things seem to bother her more than others. Additonally, we have an Allergies Forum here with many mothers who have battled similar issues.

but her father has a milk allergy to milk fat he cant have it so maybe it has something to do with that.
    If there is a history of dairy allergy in the family, cutting out all dairy in your diet might be a good place to start.

Also another thing i wanted to see if anyones noticed with their child, mine is always hungry just last night she drank 20oz's of formula between 1130pm and 9am, no wonder she was non-stop sucking on my breasts there is no way im making that much milk yet, i asked the doctor while i was there if that was normal and okay that she ate that much and he asked me if she seemed like she had an upset tummy at all and i told him no and he said then she is fine, let her eat she will stop when she is ready, she is probably going through a growth spurt. So i figure even if she was strictly breastfeeding right now we would have had to supplement anyways because that is an awful lot of milk for her because she was even drinking that much when she drank up all the breast milk i had stored when i first took her off my milk.
    That is quite a bit of formula for a baby that age. However, provided the breastfeeding is good and established, nearly all mothers can produce enough milk for their babies needs, even in very large quantities. Babies will nurse more during a growth spurt to signal the mother's body to make more milk.

Im hoping whatever it was will clear up with these antibiotics, and im not introducing anything new to my diet just sticking with everything i eat normally so i can get her back on the breast, if it is an allergy then she will probably need a soy formula but at least she got a months worth of breastmilk into her. so im crossing my fingers that its just an infection of some sort that her digestive system took a hating for and she will be able to breastfeed again.
    Again, it might be something as simple as cutting a certain food out of your diet.

Hang in there!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

nope the pain isnt gone and my nipples are still sore and bumpy etc.. but he said it doesnt look like mastitis, he doesnt know what it is but he is going to treat it like mastitis. And he has me on something called apo-cephalex. He also doesnt know if she is reacting to something in my milk or my milk itself he has to wait till he sees her and gets my report on what she does when she goes back on the breast this friday. I also asked him if that amount she was eating was healthy for her and he said she will stop eating when she isnt hungry and she wont overfeed herself and so far she seems to stop when she is full, but instead of letting her have the full 6 ounces i give her 3 1/2 first and then change her and entertain her till she starts rooting and fussing and wanting to eat then i give her the last 2 1/2 ounces and she seems satisfied. meanwhile im pumping after she is done feeding and goes to sleep and getting anywheres from 1 ounce to 5 ounces per session, i stop pumping when no more milk is comming out even after i massage my breasts and try again, but thats just to keep my flow up, the milk im pumping now is finally not going bad as fast in the fridge so it seems to be starting to get better and that horrible odor that was comming off it when i pumped it has finally dissapeared

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Also just because your child is eating non-stop does NOT mean that you dried up or that she is "starving" it sounds like you just got through a 3week growth spurt. The formula is only seemingly satisfying her for longer because it is harder on her system and doesn't absorb as quickly and therefore takes longer to digest.
    So if she wants to eat all day. Let her. It doesn't mean you aren't making enough. It means she is working to establish your supply. Which is being affected every time you supplement. You should plan on spending the days for the next 3weeks doing little else besides feeding your daughter. She is working on getting your supply to meet her demand. 16oz of pumped milk is not nothing or even bad. It's good. A baby that young will on average drink 1- 3 oz of Breastmilk every 1-3hours. The consumption of formula has to do with the fact that A. there is less work getting milk out of a bottle and B. babies drinking out of bottles don't self regulate the way babies on the breast do. So don't assume because she drank 4oz of formula that she was starving or that she NEEDED that much. It sounds like she is very NORMAL breastfed infant. In than she want to eat around the clock. In order to produce the right amount of milk for her you need to continue to bring her to the breast.
    Honestly, lose the supplements. Not only does it sound like you are already dealing with the beginning of a nipple preference. Babies will do the work needed to get the milk out of the breast out of sheer survival. But it is much easier to get milk out of a bottle. If she thinks there is an easier way, she begin reject the breast. It sounds like she is already beginning to get frustrated.
    Tomorrow, set up a nursing station. Plan on staying there all day and just nursing her all day if that is what she wants. Get up to eat and change diapers. But don't feed her any formula. Let her FORGET that there is any other way to get milk. And with that you will get ALL of her signals to make milk.
    Really, it sounds like you are off to the right start. You ARE doing this. you just need to trust that nature set it up to work perfectly. If she want to eat MORE, it doesn't mean starving, or that you aren't making enough, it just means that she is GROWING and instinctively is trying to get you to make more. Growth spurts are marathon feeding sessions. Expect another one at the 6week point. HTH. Keep us posted.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

And he has me on something called apo-cephalex.
    Okay. Dr Hale (Medications and Mothers' Milk, 2006 edition) has it listed as an L1 which is his "safest" category. He says it only gets into the milk in tiny amounts.

How many times per day are you pumping?
    Jen

every two to four hours depending on when she is eating i pump when she is done eating