Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: almost 4 weeks and severly frustrated

Default almost 4 weeks and severly frustrated

Hi, im new to bf my son is 10 and i didnt bf with him, but my daughter was born almost 4 weeks ago and we decided to bf. It started out great not a problem and then a week after she was born i dried up, there was nothing comming out for her, this went on for 2 days and the day i went to the health unit to get it checked i started producing milk again. I called health link since it was on a weekend to get some advice and nothing she said worked, the warm wet cloths on my breasts produced a half ounce or so from both breasts combined and not often. Anyways then 4 days after i got my milk back i dried up again, the health nurse found this weird, i went in thinking maybe it was a latching problem or something and she couldnt believe that i dried up she never heard of drying up and suddenly producing, but i started again the next day, then this past sunday my daughter latched on to my breasts at 1 pm and only got off for 15 minute naps where she woke up crying and latched on where she would suck for 2 hours alternating breasts and fall asleep for another 15 mins to 1/2 hour, by tuesday night i was a mess she still hadnt stopped and nothing was working she was hungry and getting nothing, we finally had to give her formula she ate 4 ounces fell asleep and slept for 7 hours in the morning my breasts were engorged and she feed happily from them, but after that there was yet again a low supply of milk, so my finace and i decided to formula feed her for the day and i pumped myself to her schedule to see how much i was producing. she eats 4 ounces per feeding and she feeds every 3 to 4 hours, i pumped 16 ounces yesterday and thats all i could get for her. today i had her on my breasts till she pulled off crying where i gave her formula to fill her starving tummy and im going back to the health nurse tommorow, i also noticed the milk i managed to pump, all 4 ounces, are almost water, its almost clear enough to see through and it has a very watery taste to it. sorry for such a long post but im at my wits end, my mom said she dried up at around the 3-4 week period with me and fed my brother till her was 6 months and im scared of it happening to me, i just dont know what else to do, has anyone else had this problem, oh and something else that might be related she ended up with a yeast infection we had to get treated and the doctor said it doesnt seem to have affected my nipples and i have sharp pains in my back on my right side when she sucks on the right breast, i also get sharp pains on the right side of my left breast that arent the same feeling as my let down, my let down feels like someone is squeezing my breast as well as stabbing it with a billion needles at the same time, these ones are sharp almost makes me stop breathing pain. I know i shouldnt supplement but her crying and fighting upsets me too much and i wont be much good pumping from the looney bin LOL, anyways i keep pumping and keep putting her on the breast till me and her cant take it anymore, but ill take any ideas at all because i just dont think the health unit can help me tommorow they havent seemed to be able to healp me the last two times.

Default Re: almost 4 weeks and severly frustrated

First off it sounds like you are having a hard time mamma so I want to send you . Well done for breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding is really hard in the beginning and my advice would be to keep putting her on the breast as often as she wants, the more she sucks the more it will regulate the output of the milk. The more you substitute, the less your breasts will make.

Pumping is no indication of how much your breasts make as nothing is as efficient as your baby for getting milk from your body.

In the beginning, it does feel like you have your baby attached to you 24/7 and this is how you establish your supply.

I understand how frustrating it can be, but if your baby is producing enough wet diapers in 24 hours I would say she's doing fine and to carry on putting baby to your breast as often as she wants to. If your nipples are getting sore then a good salve to put on is lansinoh and is safe for your baby too so you can leave it on when you breastfeed.

Hang in there mamma, it does get better from 6 weeks or so. I really struggled in the beginning and my son is now 17 months old and I am still breastfeeding!

Lots of hugs and support to you mamma, don't give up and well done for giving your baby the best there is. HTH

Also just because your child is eating non-stop does NOT mean that you dried up or that she is "starving" it sounds like you just got through a 3week growth spurt. The formula is only seemingly satisfying her for longer because it is harder on her system and doesn't absorb as quickly and therefore takes longer to digest.
    So if she wants to eat all day. Let her. It doesn't mean you aren't making enough. It means she is working to establish your supply. Which is being affected every time you supplement. You should plan on spending the days for the next 3weeks doing little else besides feeding your daughter. She is working on getting your supply to meet her demand. 16oz of pumped milk is not nothing or even bad. It's good. A baby that young will on average drink 1- 3 oz of Breastmilk every 1-3hours. The consumption of formula has to do with the fact that A. there is less work getting milk out of a bottle and B. babies drinking out of bottles don't self regulate the way babies on the breast do. So don't assume because she drank 4oz of formula that she was starving or that she NEEDED that much. It sounds like she is very NORMAL breastfed infant. In than she want to eat around the clock. In order to produce the right amount of milk for her you need to continue to bring her to the breast.
    Honestly, lose the supplements. Not only does it sound like you are already dealing with the beginning of a nipple preference. Babies will do the work needed to get the milk out of the breast out of sheer survival. But it is much easier to get milk out of a bottle. If she thinks there is an easier way, she begin reject the breast. It sounds like she is already beginning to get frustrated.
    Tomorrow, set up a nursing station. Plan on staying there all day and just nursing her all day if that is what she wants. Get up to eat and change diapers. But don't feed her any formula. Let her FORGET that there is any other way to get milk. And with that you will get ALL of her signals to make milk.
    Really, it sounds like you are off to the right start. You ARE doing this. you just need to trust that nature set it up to work perfectly. If she want to eat MORE, it doesn't mean starving, or that you aren't making enough, it just means that she is GROWING and instinctively is trying to get you to make more. Growth spurts are marathon feeding sessions. Expect another one at the 6week point. HTH. Keep us posted.

Way too lazy for formula

just keep trying, lay down and nurse her all day and watch t.v. or read a book and don't look at the clock

I would love to lay down and feed with her but she will only feed with me sitting up or leaning back a little bit while holding her in the cradle hold
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

Do you have a boppy pillow or something like it? that saved me, DS would not nurse lying down until like a month ago. DS was attatched to me for an hour at a time, then sleep or at least not be attatched for like an hour, then back on again for liek 6 weeks....then it got down to 45 min, then at 10 weeks it was down to 30 min and not at 12 mo it is like 10-20 min both total, both sides. It will get better, but the mor eyou supplement the more trouble you will have with supply. you can do this, it is hard but it is worth it. you're doing a great job!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Sending Good job with sticking with the bfing. You are a great mom for wanting to give your LO the best.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Thank you guys for your answers, ive had her on breast milk all day once with breast milk in the bottle because my mom was over so i could get some rest she seems to be doing fine again but as i said before it seems im not producing anything for a day or two at a time then im good for 4 to 6 days and it starts agian, another question i have is if i let down while she is sleeping should i wake her or just pump it or just leave it i dont know i dont want to wake her because she doesnt sleep much and she doesnt sleep well, and the pumping and i dont have very good luck and im scared of drying up if i leave it, can anyone tell me what they do in that situation?
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

as i said before it seems im not producing anything for a day or two at a time then im good for 4 to 6 days and it starts agian,
    Can you tell my what exactly is happening that makes you think your milk supply drops? Is your baby nursing more frequently, fussier, etc.? Sometimes they go through growth spurts and it the mother thinks the baby isn't getting enough--what is actually happening is baby is signaling mom's body to make more milk for it's changing needs. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/spurt.html

Also, pumping is NOT a good measure of how much you make. Your baby is much more efficient at getting milk from you than a machine is

another question i have is if i let down while she is sleeping should i wake her or just pump it or just leave it i dont know i dont want to wake her because she doesnt sleep much and she doesnt sleep well, and the pumping and i dont have very good luck and im scared of drying up if i leave it, can anyone tell me what they do in that situation?
    Here is an article that can help you determine if your baby is getting enough to eat:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

If she's eating 8-12 or more times per day, making wet and dirty diapers, and gaining weight, then there's no reason to wake her to nurse or pump while she's asleep.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I had to put her back on to the formula but i talked to my health nurse about it, she said to do the same thing, but i can keep trying to breast feed in the mean time. Anyways everytime i breast fed her about a 1/2 hour after she would get really fussy and start drawing up her legs and kicking them out and letting out "im hurting" cries, her tummy was gurgling and she was really gassy , i also put milk of mine in the fridge and it was bad the next morning had a horrible odor and a horrible taste to it, she had some in a bottle and threw it all up ( not the bad stuff but fresh from the pump) now we have to wait for the cold snap to end to go to the doctors, but i want to know has anyone ever heard of your breast milk maybe being bad inside of you? is this possible, or maybe is it possible due to infection or mastitis?? my nipples have white ***** bumps on the top which are surropunded by red bumps and i have several large sore lumps in my breasts as well as really painful pins and needles starting from my collar bone to half way down my stomach, it hurts when she latches on to the point i want to cry and scream and when she stops sucking it hurts the same. Im going to keep trying to put her at the breast but im going to monitor her reactions to it, but like the health nurse said if she is reacting that way to the breast milk take her off it, so im going to use mainly formula till i get to the docs, but anyone have any ideas??