Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still Strictly BF'ing--Start Solids?

Default Re: Still Strictly BF'ing--Start Solids?

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    A lot of experts have warned against this as it is a choking hazard. You can tell DH that introducing solids does not mean that he will sleep better.
    I always do my homework so you know I will get all my documentation in place--if I'm not mistaken I believe even though my Ped suggested the solids he did say not to give cereal in a bottle as well. I didn't do that for my first LO (but he was EBF'd--went straight from breast to cup . But my DH comes from a family that would have my LO sucking on a chicken bone . I'm still trying to undo what he learned--thank GOD though we have come a pretty long way--whew (I know theres a emoticon for that word) .
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by malleyboo View Post
    I always do my homework so you know I will get all my documentation in place--if I'm not mistaken I believe even though my Ped suggested the solids he did say not to give cereal in a bottle as well. I didn't do that for my first LO (but he was EBF'd--went straight from breast to cup . But my DH comes from a family that would have my LO sucking on a chicken bone . I'm still trying to undo what he learned--thank GOD though we have come a pretty long way--whew (I know theres a emoticon for that word) .

I'm glad to hear that b/c the minute we mention anything about Logan not sleeping much, my MIL immediately says we should feed him cereal in a bottle. I told her I had read that you should start solids somewhere around 4-6 mths, but she says she gave her kids cereal in a bottle at 2-3 weeks!!!

Of course this is also the same woman who says she doesn't think female doctors are as smart as male doctors!!

Quote Originally Posted by christina78 View Post
    I'm glad to hear that b/c the minute we mention anything about Logan not sleeping much, my MIL immediately says we should feed him cereal in a bottle. I told her I had read that you should start solids somewhere around 4-6 mths, but she says she gave her kids cereal in a bottle at 2-3 weeks!!!

Of course this is also the same woman who says she doesn't think female doctors are as smart as male doctors!!
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear

I started Elijah on cereal right at 6 months. With him I did everything by the book. I gave Liliana her first bite of cereal 2 weeks ago at 5 months. We are alternating between oatmeal and rice and I figure in another week or two I'll introduce avacado to her. They both took to being fed with no issues. Babies are different so you just have to work around their schdule.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by I♥myblueeyedbabes! View Post
    I started Elijah on cereal right at 6 months. With him I did everything by the book. I gave Liliana her first bite of cereal 2 weeks ago at 5 months. We are alternating between oatmeal and rice and I figure in another week or two I'll introduce avacado to her. They both took to being fed with no issues. Babies are different so you just have to work around their schdule.
    What's the deal with avocado, I've been seeing around the threads but haven't looked--but now you've peeked my interest.

What's the deal with avocado, I've been seeing around the threads but haven't looked--but now you've peeked my interest.
    Avocados are a great first food for LOs. They are packed with unsaturated fatty acids and have a higher proportion of this "good" fat than any other fruit. A lot of times you will read that it feeds the brain.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

Quote Originally Posted by I♥myblueeyedbabes! View Post
    Avocados are a great first food for LOs. They are packed with unsaturated fatty acids and have a higher proportion of this "good" fat than any other fruit. A lot of times you will read that it feeds the brain.
    How do you prepare it?

Quote Originally Posted by christina78 View Post
    :eek My sister gave her first son cereal in a bottle at 6 wks! We have come a long way!!! My MIL is constantly harping on how her grandson "needs" cereal now... FIL is always trying to feed him behind my back!!! :eek

Why is it such a hard sell? The babies are doing JUST FINE! Let us mamas lead the way...

How do you prepare it?
    All I've ever done is mash it with a fork. At the beginning I would add a little bit of BM. It can be frozen in ice cube trays too. Just add a tiny bit of lemon juice to keep it from turning brown.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03

I have a 6 month old princess. I want to breastfeed for as long as possible, my dilema is she shows signs of hunger, but doesnt want more breastmilk that I keep offering, instead she would take a bottle of formula. It is as though she needs to be on the solids, but cant be bothered with it. That sounds silly even as I write it, she feeds all night long, and is perfectly healthy weight wise and everything, advice pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaase ladies