Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still Strictly BF'ing--Start Solids?

Default Re: Still Strictly BF'ing--Start Solids?

He was 6 months and sitting unassisted, as well as showing clear interest in our food and in eating. He has such a good time eating!

Luke was 5 mos when we really started but I agree with everyone to wait til 6 mos. We had a false start at 4.5 then cut back to nursing exclusively. Then solids (cereal and purees) at 5 mos. It worked out ok but I didnt know what I was doing and was feeding him waaaay too much. He is 10 mos now and eat three meals a day. Sometimes just purees and cheerios, sometimes whatever we are eating if it is safe for him.

My LO is going to be 6 months on the 28th of this month. I tried cereal once a couple of months ago but I decided to stop. We saw his Ped and he mentioned that it was ok to start him on single solids. I guess I'm just being selfish because when he starts solids that means alternately he will nurse less.

We had such an unexpected hard time at the beginning (bad latch, mastitis twice in the same month, cracked and bleeding nipples) which I never had with my oldest LO. So, we are nursing well now and I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

my lo does not nurse any less often now then she did before we started solids.

a this point solids should be in addition to bm not a replacement.

Vampire seems like we have a good bit in common! LOL I also started my LO on solids "early". He was just ready. I think mother nows best, no matter what you choose!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

We started BLS around 6 months but DD was getting so constipated I went back to EBF till 9-10 months. I would encourage you to wait. You're not being selfish; you're following your instincts.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My first child I started feeding solids at almost 6 months, but he wouldn't have it. As a result we waited and he didn't take to it until 13 months! And some peds still believe breastmilk turns into water after 12 months

With my second and current child, I just started this week with pureed bananas. She's almost 6 months old and unlike my son, VERY interested in food and likes her mashed bananas so far. I find it fun to feed someone who actually likes to be fed. To this day my son (4) still doesn't like to eat (unless it's cookies and ice cream of course!).

Quote Originally Posted by maggiesmom816 View Post
    I gave DD cereal for the first time right at 6 months and she was not interested at all. I tried again at 7 mo and it was a little better. I offered it once every week after that and around 8-8 1/2 months she decided she was ready and hasn't stopped eating since!
    I am so happy to read this! My dd is almost 7 mos, and is not into eating anything. She sits supported only. I am EBF-ing her, and that is all she wants right now. I am glad that is ok! Her Doc said that by her next appt he wanted her on one cereal, one veggie, and one fruit at least! I may have to break the news to him she just is not READY!!!
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

I tried giving my LO cereal mixed with BM but his mouth motor skills just aren't ready for it yet. He still has the automatic sticking out the tongue response as if he's nursing. He's reaching for everything but heck you know babies they want everything in their mouths anyway.

I was glad that I tried though more so for my husband because sometimes when the nights are long he thinks maybe he needs cereal but now he sees he can't take it from a spoon. Although his response was put the cereal in a bottle--I don't know that I want to do that either.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by malleyboo View Post
    I was glad that I tried though more so for my husband because sometimes when the nights are long he thinks maybe he needs cereal but now he sees he can't take it from a spoon. Although his response was put the cereal in a bottle--I don't know that I want to do that either.
    A lot of experts have warned against this as it is a choking hazard. You can tell DH that introducing solids does not mean that he will sleep better.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.