Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

My five week old was feeding about every 2-3 hours on average since we brought her home from the hospital. Now she seems to be spacing her feedings out more and feeds on average every 3-4 hours. Is this normal?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Is this normal?

I'm no expert, but as long as she's producing good wet and dirty diapers and gaining sufficient weight, I think you're in good shape.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

My baby did the same thing. I don't know for sure, but I assumed it was because the quality of milk he was getting let him go longer between feedings.

They also start to get better and more efficient at breastfeeding, so they can empty the breast better and faster. And their little stomachs start to grow so that they have more milk in their tummy and they can wait longer until their next feeding.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous