Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: don't want to give a bottle

Default don't want to give a bottle

Is there anyone who does not want to give their baby a bottle? I am getting a lot of negative comments. People say it can't be done so I am wondering is there anyone who has done it.

Default Re: don't want to give a bottle

You don't have to give your baby a bottle if you're exclusively BFing and you're able to BF on demand. There's no reason to give a baby a bottle "just because," "in case you're not around," "so dad/grandma can 'bond.'"
    If you don't want to and there's no need, then don't.
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

I can raise my hand for that one! It can and has been done!
    My now 15 year old daughter never had a bottle. She was EBF for 11 months and then weaned to a cup. My now 3 year old only had a bottle for a week during the time my Dad was in the hospital with a heart attack. She learned to drink water from a cup around 8 or 9 months old and only drank water or BM until she weaned herself at 27 months. My 5 month old won't take a bottle at all. We tried a couple weeks ago. She doesn't get it, just lets it dribble out of her mouth. For the most part, as the baby gets older they will just wait for you, even if you have to be gone past their usual feeding time. At 5 months, she can go 5 hours without eating if I want to be gone such as for grocery shopping or going out to dinner. If I was home, she might request to nurse or be nursed to sleep but since she doesn't associate anyone else with eating, she doesn't expect it from anyone else.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

my oldest had a bottle.
    My 2nd had maybe 5 or 6 bottles total while I took some classes..
    If i would have known about LLL then I would have just taken him to class with me.
    My 3 and 4th babies we didn't even have a bottle in the house.

If nursing is going well, and you don't mind being attached to your baby, then there is ABSOLUTELY no need for bottles!

I wish I could say my daughter was bottle-free, but she did have quite a few in the early weeks when I had issues with a bad latch leading to low milk supply. But once we got over that hurdle, she didn't see another bottle until she was 18 months old, and found an old one in a box. I personally never drank from a bottle as a baby- I was exclusively nursed, as was my little brother! (Way to go, Mom!)

My lo is 8.5 mths and has had 2 bottles in her life. She starting taking them and then refused. I would have liked her to take it some so I could go out more but she won't so that's just the way it is. It can be done but if I could, I would love to be able to give a bottle. Not all the time but just every week or two so I could do something. I do feel pretty trapped at times so think carefully before you decide not to give it. Thats just my opinion though. Its not like I can't take her places and feed her there but I have some back problems and would like to get physical therapy which takes too much time before she feeds again.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

You're not crazy! Not in the least.

Some experts say that breastfed babies don't need bottles at all. If a need for supplementation arises, it can be done with cup, dropper, or spoon. And, instead of weaning to a bottle, baby can be weaned directly to cup! Here's some information on alternative feeding methods:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...eding.html#Cup

My best suggestion is to do what feels right for your family.

Quote Originally Posted by fosterparent4 View Post
    Is there anyone who does not want to give their baby a bottle? I am getting a lot of negative comments. People say it can't be done so I am wondering is there anyone who has done it.
    I don't and won't unless I absolutely have to.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

We do bottles occasionally, but you certainly don't HAVE to. Personally, I like the freedom an occasion bottle gives me. A dear friend is now weaning her almost one year old and I really think the main reason for her being "done" is he never took a bottle and she has really felt "trapped" for a year. just my thoughts . . . I liked an occasional date night and last week, I even spent the night out (was back for the 6am feed!) but ultimately, if you choose not to, there is no need.

I'm in the "trapped" situation. DS refuses to take a bottle. Sometimes he will take an ounce or so if it's me giving it, but if it's anyone else, fprget it. I am trying to get him to take some EBM from a sippy, but he doesn't want to know at the moment. DS is not BFing anywhere near as frequently as he did, but he will wait and wait if I'm out, for me to come back so he can nurse.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!