Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 months and going strong

Default 8 months and going strong

I am currently BF my 8 mo old daughter. She nurses about 6-7 times throughout the day and is on a few solids (1/4 cup of oatmeal and 1/2 container of 2nd stage baby fruit at lunch, occasionally some type of veg. at dinner) but still prefers to nurse over solids at times. I feel very strongly about nursing her until at least a year, and hopefully longer. I would like to let her wean herself. Lately family members have been telling me that she will probably lose intrest soon or my milk will likely "dry up". My mom says she stopped producing when I turned nine months. I do not want this to happen! I can't imagine stopping BF any time soon. Can your milk just "dry up"? I understand the concept of supply and demand and I would say I am producing plenty of milk for her but others' comments are beggining to make me wonder if this happens often?

Default Re: 8 months and going strong

and congrats on BFing your LO for so long!!

As far as I know, your milk cannot just "dry up". I think as long as you are nursing your LO, your body continues to receive the cues that it should keep making the milk.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

I wouldn't worry. After 9 months of nursing () your supply is very well-established. It may dip temporarily during your period, or if you're sick or stressed, but the law of supply and demand will always bring it back to where your baby needs it to be! "Drying up" is, as far as I know, next to impossible- unless you get pregnant. Some women nurse throughout pregnancy without a hitch, but others do lose their supplies.

Your logical thinking is correct. Milk doesn't just "dry up".

It sounds like everything is going GREAT for you. My best suggestion is just to try to put the negative comments out of your mind (hard, I know! ).

Keep on keepin' on!

Sounds like you are doing great keep up the good work
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

I've found one of the hardest parts of being a new parent is listening to everyone's comments and advice. Especially when it comes to breastfeeding. It is enough to drive a person crazy. I come to this board just to regain my sanity!

most definitely, not. Your milk does not just dry up.
    Your supply adjusts to the LO needs.
    She is the boss. She knows how much milk she needs and how much to produce.

As long as you nurse, like you say you have, then I would not worry about it.
    Ignore those stupid comments, and your baby will nurse and wean whenever she wants.

Mine weaned themselves, at 15 months, and 13 months. I was also feeding the same amount of times per day that you are.

Your doing fabulous and keep it up.

Here is a link to some reasons why some moms' milk "drys up" or why some babies lose interest -- i.e. early weaning (before one year):

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html