Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 4.5mo has not pooped for 7days, should I be worried?

Default My 4.5mo has not pooped for 7days, should I be worried?

My 4.5mo old daughter has not pooped for 7days. She has enough pee diapers and acting happy. She's now sleeping through the night and I feed her an average of 4 to 5 times a day. Her weight is 95 percentile so it's not she's not eating enough. Should and When should I start getting worried? Does anyone else has the same experience and what did you do? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: My 4.5mo has not pooped for 7days, should I be worried?

Does she receive anything other than breastmilk???
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

No, exclusively breast milk.

Well I wouldn't worry too much yet... have you put a call into the doc to get their take on it? They may push the use of a "poop-aide", but its sometimes useful to have their take

Here's a link with a little more info that may help you
    Therefore, if an infant poops every third day but it comes out soft, this would not be considered constipation, and no therapy is indicated. In fact, at 3-6 weeks of age, breast-fed babies may only have one stool a week. This is because breast milk leaves very little waste in the intestines to be passed. Again, if the stool, when passed, is not hard, this is completely normal. In general, it is almost impossible for strictly breast-fed babies to become constipated.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks. I just got a call from her doctor and she said to give her a mix of 2tsp of brown sugar and 2oz of water to see if that helps. If nothing happens in two days, bring her in. This is my second baby and one hand I tell myself don't worry about it but on the other hand, 7days seem a long time....

Quote Originally Posted by icoeny View Post
    Thanks. I just got a call from her doctor and she said to give her a mix of 2tsp of brown sugar and 2oz of water to see if that helps. If nothing happens in two days, bring her in. This is my second baby and one hand I tell myself don't worry about it but on the other hand, 7days seem a long time....
    I'm not a medic, but just from personal experience.... DS2 was pooing about every 9 or 10 days at 4.5 months.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

So I assumed you just kept waiting? and did he keep that pattern for awhile? When he did go, was it painful for him?

My 4 month old goes sometimes 9-10 days without a bowel movement and my pedi said it is completely normal for BF babies to go up to 10 days without a bowel movement. So long as it is soft and normal color when they do go then there is nothing to worry about.
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

It's normal for breastfed babies to longer between poops anytime after the age of about 6 weeks. You might find this web page reassuring:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html

Quote Originally Posted by Riordan View Post
    My 4 month old goes sometimes 9-10 days without a bowel movement and my pedi said it is completely normal for BF babies to go up to 10 days without a bowel movement. So long as it is soft and normal color when they do go then there is nothing to worry about.

Very true... A baby can go up to 10 days without a BM. It is normal and ok.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!