Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Advice - Weaning a 26 month old...

Question Need Advice - Weaning a 26 month old...

My DD is 26 months old - and never did I imagine that we would be nursing this long. (Don't get me wrong - I have loved it, I just couldn't picture it.) I have tried weaning - saying that the 2 year mark would be "graduation" BUT SHE IS HAVING NONE OF IT. She basically only nurses in the morning or when she has a "traumatic" ouchie.

If she's not with me, she doesn't care about nursing. She's been away at the grandparents for multiple visits for 2-4 days at a time, and when she gets back it's always a demand for "Mama's Milk" first thing that next morning.

I've tried the multiple layers of clothes and she just searches and rips through them until she's found her bounty. She's very strong and determined.

I'm due with number 2 in 5 weeks and that just adds a layer of complication to it all.

Any advice you can offer would be so appreciated.

Thanks!

Lisa

Default Re: Need Advice - Weaning a 26 month old...

Are you intersted in waening because you're ready? Or you think it needs to be done? You feel you need a break befoer the baby comes or not sure how to manage it all if she is when bay does come? Basically - what's your goal

Hopefully we can help you get to your goal!

Here's a little link with some good resources on weaning
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

That's a big question - why am I weaning. . .

In short - I think it's time. DD is a little to rough with it and I really don't know how I could manage 2. I really feel that if she's still BF when the new baby arrives she'll nurse more - more milk - easier time, etc. I'm not sure I could handle it full time.

Selfish?

Quote Originally Posted by L3plus2 View Post
    That's a big question - why am I weaning. . .

In short - I think it's time. DD is a little to rough with it and I really don't know how I could manage 2. I really feel that if she's still BF when the new baby arrives she'll nurse more - more milk - easier time, etc. I'm not sure I could handle it full time.

Selfish?
    Please don't worry about if it appears selfish or not. If it's time, it's time. Can you check out the link to see if something is helpful there?

Let us know

I wanted to add that with the new baby coming, it may manifest into a new issue too - so keep in mind that many kids when weaned prior to a birth, see the new baby nursing it drives them to want to nurse again...
    Last edited by Number3; January 24th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I am about in the same boat as you, except I've chosen to keep nursing DD and just see what happens when the new baby is born. My DD sounds exactly like yours with her nursing habits, except most days she nurses during bedtime stories.
    I've told DD multiple times that the baby will need to nurse a lot and that she does not need to nurse as much because she can eat lots of other yummy foods. She agrees (for now) that this makes sense.
    If she is acting really rude and physical and demanding to nurse (i.e. pitching a fit and trying to tear my shirt off), that is not allowed. That's just teaching manners and regard for other people IMO.

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on weaning as that's not the route I've chosen, but your situation sounded so similar that I thought my experience might be helpful.

You might try the book How Weaning Happens for more ideas.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on