Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone else ever have this???

Default Anyone else ever have this???

I am bf'ing my 2nd daughter who is now 4 1/2 months. She is a great nurser and has always been. But I am starting to form a sore on one of my breasts. Its not on the nipple..but rather beside the nipple on the areola part. This happened with my 1st daughter when she was about 6-8 months old. I developed a sore and it just kept getting worse and worse and worse and finally I had to stop bf'ing her because it had gotten so bad my dr. said it needed to heal. I was also pregnant at the time but didnt' know it. Anyhow, I had her looked at today and the Dr. said she doesn't see any sign of thrush, but she does have a super bad diaper rash! So I think I do have yeast which is the same as thrush, right? Any suggestions on anything i can put on it? Or can do about it? I bought some stuff at the Target Pharmacy today called something violet...can't remember the first part of it. A friend of mine said that will help baby if she has thrush. PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

Default Re: Anyone else ever have this???

I found this, but didn't have a chance to read it all. Hopefully that'll help. If not, keep posting your questions. We mamas try to make sure to get to them in a timely manner, but we don't always succeed!

http://www.llli.org//FAQ/thrush.html

I try not to answer a lot because, well Im no expert..lol..

Guessing, you bought gentian violet at target...which means your target is better than mine, because they def dont have it there.

It is my experience you can see thrush usually. For bad diaper rashes, we use a and d ointment or for the severe one we use the combination johnson and johnsons for severe. I will go and come back with what its really called.

No I dont see how you got that conclusion, but I wouldnt.

Be back in a few with the rest.

The rest:
    Ok, as a DCP, I use Johnson and Johnsons No more rash 3 in 1 formula with zinc oxide. For super severe, where there is literally blood, I have seen neosporin used. I dont know how youd know its yeast. It usually isnt. If it is, youd want to prevent the conditions that frequent yeast. I can tell you that when I switched to cloth diapering, dyl hadnt had a diaper rash since. That is true, but my monkey has a sensitive bottom.

Frequent diaper changing and butt wiping is the key though. I am not saying that I dont think you do this, but especially if it is thrush, definetely more to fight it off. Wipes sometimes irritate the bottom too.

I had breast thrush, and it was so incredibly painful, but I did not stop breastfeeding. I used a and d and also nystatin, which you need a script for at least here.

If youd like you can pm me and I will try to help if I can.
    *hugs*
    good luck!!
    Last edited by babydsmommy; January 24th, 2008 at 06:04 PM.

My first question would be is it a sore, as in a small sore place or is it a patch of soreness? The second one sounds more like thrush which I have not had. I have had infected sweat glands just where you describe them, almost like a pimple. I use antibacterial cream on them a few time a day after I nurse.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

It is an actual sore...like it doesn't hurt when she nurses but you can see an actual sore.

like under the skin or above the skin?

Can you describe the sore? Does it look like a pimple? Is it a rough patch? Is red? Is it raised? Is it oozing? Is in the same spot as the sore you had with your older child?

Could you call or see an IBCLC?

See a doctor and ask for them to run a culture on your sore. You never know, til you know. Not trying to be scary but it is always better to know!

I taught STD classes and I have seen a lot of HPV and herpes in non-sexual, non-mucous membrane locations- hands, chest, etc. These things travel along nerve paths and can lie dormant for a long time and crop up during irritation or hormonal time. I even knew a girl that experienced her herpes outbreaks on her foot and ankle and no where else.

I know you are waiting for answers here from people, and it is GREAT to get support and bounce ideas off of people- but you really should get checked out by a doctor, both you for any skin virus and your child for thrush so you do not go through the time treating something it might not be.

It is not always foolproof- the past month my OB treated me twice for a yeast infection without running a culture. I shoulda insisted because I have gone through two weeks of different messy creams and it has not helped =) Waste of time and money, you know? Even with doctors, you gotta be pro-active with your health!