Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raglan??? Who Uses This??? What about Domperidome???

Default Raglan??? Who Uses This??? What about Domperidome???

Are there any moms that use Raglan for supply issue's and if so what are your thoughts on it? Did it work any better than say Funegreek? Don't you need a prescription for both?
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Default Re: Raglan??? Who Uses This??? What about Domperidome???

for the reglan - you need a prescription
    fenugreek- is over the counter

i never used reglan for the supply issues, but i have tried fenugreek and blessed thistle and it seemed to help with dd1. i want to try more milk drops. what have ya tried?

Do you feel your supply is low enough that it warrants the use of a supply booster (galactagogue)?

Little tidbit on Reglan: (found here)

Reglan has often been used in the U.S.. One major side-effect of Reglan is severe depression; it is contraindicated in moms with a history of depression, and all moms who take this should keep an eye out for signs of depression.

Fenugreek info link here.

More here ---> Do I have low supply?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

have you visited www.workandpump.com

I used both Reglan and fenugreek when I had supply troubles. Reglan is a prescription drug, but fenugreek is an herb which you can get at your local health food or grocery store. (Look in the ethnic foods aisle for Methi, Kasoori Methi, or Hilbeh, which are, respectively, the Indian and Arabic names for fenugreek.)

My midwife had her back-up OB write the Reglan script for me. I personally had no side-effects from the Reglan other than increased milk production, but Reglan is associated with an increased risk for depression, so talk to your health care provider about any family or personal history of depression before you decide to take this med!

What helped me increase my supply as much as or perhaps even more than the Reglan or the fenugreek, was having a hospital-grade pump. That thing could really remove milk! It cost $2 per day to rent from my IBCLC. If you are having supply troubles, I strongly suggest seeing an IBCLC and maybe renting a pump!

I thought I read somewhere that domperidone (sp?) for boosting milk supply was strictly off-label.... No experience with reglan.

I did use fenugreek to boost supply a few times while I was nursing. It worked wonderfully for me, and I found it at my local health food store.

Using Reglan as a galactogogue is also considered "off-label" use. Reglan is FDA-approved. Domperidone is not, though it is approved in Canada and Europe. Domperidone (available in the US from compounding pharmacies) is not associated with a risk for depression, which is why a lot of people prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by adamEMMAbella View Post

for the reglan - you need a prescription
    fenugreek- is over the counter

i never used reglan for the supply issues, but i have tried fenugreek and blessed thistle and it seemed to help with dd1. i want to try more milk drops. what have ya tried?
    I have tried Fenugreek by itself and it seemed to work a few months ago and recently I tried it with Blessed Thistle but it doesn't seem to be working now. I am still nursing and pumping but I want to pump more for the dcp--pump today for tomorrow.

I have tried all the suggested remedies ie nursing on demand as well as continued pumping at home not to mention my LO still wakes throughout the night to nurse and don't get me started on the comfort nursing. But alas none of this is to no avail so I am looking for something a little stronger.
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    I used both Reglan and fenugreek when I had supply troubles. Reglan is a prescription drug, but fenugreek is an herb which you can get at your local health food or grocery store. (Look in the ethnic foods aisle for Methi, Kasoori Methi, or Hilbeh, which are, respectively, the Indian and Arabic names for fenugreek.)

My midwife had her back-up OB write the Reglan script for me. I personally had no side-effects from the Reglan other than increased milk production, but Reglan is associated with an increased risk for depression, so talk to your health care provider about any family or personal history of depression before you decide to take this med!

What helped me increase my supply as much as or perhaps even more than the Reglan or the fenugreek, was having a hospital-grade pump. That thing could really remove milk! It cost $2 per day to rent from my IBCLC. If you are having supply troubles, I strongly suggest seeing an IBCLC and maybe renting a pump!
    I rented a Lactina Symphony pump for a while--(to expensive) until I received my APY from WIC, which I have been using regularly.

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I would talk to your doctor before starting any prescription. I used fenugreek, mother's milk tea, ate lots of oatmeal and also ended up taking Reglan but I did experience the depression side effect. As a PP said, what makes you think that you need to increase your supply? I started using all of the above after I started back to work and noticed a big drop in my supply. Good luck.