Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: my worst nightmare

Default my worst nightmare

has come true. My one moth old is sick....really sick. My 15 month old got her first cold and shared it with all of us. I had it for 10 day as did my mom. the baby started coughing yesterday..my day 9. I thought she would have my antibodies by then. Maybe my milk is weak this time around. She is hacking and I have spent the better part of the night in the bathroom in a steam bath. PLEASE HELP if you have any suggestions. She went to the dr they said there is nothing I can do. I have been crying as she coughs so hard a little tear came out of her eye. This is sooo bad
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

Default Re: my worst nightmare

oh, jeez, momma! i am sooo sorry! i'm sure your milk is helping, sometimes they just get sick anyway, you know? you are doing steam....do you have a cool mist humidifier? i hear they work great! if i think of anything else, i'll let you know!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

It happens no matter what you do to avoid it! (although I wish this werent true) They are so vulnerable at these early times! We are going through our second cold of the season! WE also use a humidifier, baths and saline nose sprays to moisten the boogies up!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Is she still nursing okay? Hopefully those great antibodies will help this be a short cold.

My 4 week old was sick with rsv, very very very scary! If they did not test your lo please take him back and insist that they do...RSV is everywhere around here. Your milk is strong and will help your lo heal..Any change at all and bc of your lo's age take him back in straight away..Babies this little just start to shut down when they are sick and the airways are the first to go.. Hope that he feels better soon!

Karin, I'm so sorry! Older kids do drag home the worst bugs. I am sure your milk is helping your new baby! Lots of steam, lots of nursing- it really sounds like you're doing everything you can. Hang in there!

Thank you thank you thank you....
    I am sick over this. I happen to be one of those germaphobe gel freaks so I can't believe she is so sick. Anyway we have both the cool mist humidifier and the vaporizer going . The dr mentioned rsv ..but didn't think thats what it was. What should I look for?
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/child...s/a/05_rsv.htm

they have what to look out for listed here. when in doubt take her in! i always do what makes me feel more comfortable with the situation!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Any baby that young should be tested right away...apnea is a concern with rsv and the baby needs to watched very closely if he does have it..A friend of mine just took her baby in bc he was coughing so hard he would vomit and guess what, rsv... I took West in bc he just sounded a little congested, rsv...
    usually the baby is wheezing, but that can be hard to hear, I know what wheezing sounds like bc my old one has had it but West was wheezing like crazy and I never heard it..Not to scare you but I would take him in..

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by mastiffkarin View Post
    has come true. My one moth old is sick....really sick. My 15 month old got her first cold and shared it with all of us. I had it for 10 day as did my mom. the baby started coughing yesterday..my day 9. I thought she would have my antibodies by then. Maybe my milk is weak this time around. She is hacking and I have spent the better part of the night in the bathroom in a steam bath. PLEASE HELP if you have any suggestions. She went to the dr they said there is nothing I can do. I have been crying as she coughs so hard a little tear came out of her eye. This is sooo bad
    Your antibodies are there and your milk is not weak. Colds/viruses cannot be killed and are very strong. Just imagine how much harder she could have been hit by this cold without your milk. You're doing a great job, mommy!!!!! She loves that you're there to comfort her and for taking those soothing steam baths with her. If it's warm enough, you may want to consider taking one without shirts because the skin-to-skin contact is so warm and soothing.

A friend visited from out of town two weeks ago and brought a cold with him, which my hubby caught first, then my son and I finally caught it too. It's miserable. My poor little guy sounds so congested and like he wants to hack up all that yucky stuff but just can't. It's heartbreaking.

We went to the dr. to see if there was anything he could take to clear up the congestion and unfortunately, there's nothing. To try to break down the mucus some, I place him on his back on my lap with his head tilted slightly back and place 2 to 3 saline drops in each nostril and let them sit for a couple of minutes. It makes nursing just a bit better. We've also been sitting more upright nursing. In addition, we placed a pillow under his mattress at one end, which helped for a couple of nights.

Since he can't produce anything by coughing or blow his nose like we can, he swallows it. The combination of saline and mucus and not wanting to eat solids changed his poop color and consistency, so just know that in advance. He could have the cough for up to two weeks with days 3 or 4 being the worst. He hasn't been that trilled about eating or drinking much else than being at the breast.

His recovery is happening slowly, but it is happening.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!